Oliver Drake.....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do we have any Oliver Drakes in this year's draft? Someone who slid all the way down towards the end due to signability? Or just anyone in general to keep an eye on from day 3?

I like some of the tough signs that we took this year, and here's some of the guys I hope we make a serious run at.

Michael Ohlman-round 11

Garrett Bush-round 15

Jarrett Martin-round 18

Cameron Coffey-round 23

Kyle Hoppy-round 28

Matt Nadolski-round 32

Tyler Naquin-round 33

Ohlman has decent raw power, and if he can't stick at C (he's lanky at 6'4", 200 lbs), he should be able to move to a corner spot. Bush probably wants too much to sign, but maybe he'd like to get started as a pro, as the talent is there. Hopefully we can land Martin this time around, a lot of us were high on him last year. Coffey is probably a tough sign, and he just had TJ surgery. He's a Duke commit, but was previously considered a relatively easy sign, and wanted to start as a pro. I think he's worth a shot, and some had him pegged as high as a round 2 talent before the injury. Kyle Hoppy is a very good athlete, but we'll need to buy him out of his pricey Bucknell scholarship as well as provide an additional bonus. Nadolski looks like he's got a good arm from the left side, and I like him based on what I've read about his makeup. Sounds like he has exceptional character. Finally, Naquin may be signable as he's committed to play JuCo next year, but he'll command well over slot.

I like some of the tough signs that we took this year, and here's some of the guys I hope we make a serious run at.

Jarrett Martin-round 18

Hopefully we can land Martin this time around, a lot of us were high on him last year.

While I want to sign nearly all of our picks, Martin, Berry, Townsend, Givens, and Hobgood are the players I'm most excited to see in our system. Hopefully, they all sign quickly and get into the summer leagues.

While I want to sign nearly all of our picks, Martin, Berry, Townsend, Givens, and Hobgood are the players I'm most excited to see in our system. Hopefully, they all sign quickly and get into the summer leagues.

From various articles, it sounds like Townsend and Hobgood should be signed by June 30th at the latest.

Those guys Im interested to watch, but Randy Henry, Ashur Tolliver and Aaron Wirsh are the HS arms that I want to sign.

Duke, I didnt know that we drafted all of these guys overslot in the latter rounds, so some of these guys are quality picks?

Those guys Im interested to watch, but Randy Henry, Ashur Tolliver and Aaron Wirsh are the HS arms that I want to sign.

Duke, I didnt know that we signed all of these guys overslot in the latter rounds, so some of these guys are quality picks?

We haven't signed anyone.

From various articles, it sounds like Townsend and Hobgood should be signed by June 30th at the latest.

Good news on Townsend. I just finished reading the Sun article with the Hobgood quote. It's so refreshing, particularly in this draft, to see some young guys who are talented and fans of the O's coming into the fold.

So, is the GCL a likely destination for Hobbs'?

Duke, I didnt know that we signed all of these guys overslot in the latter rounds, so some of these guys are quality picks?

We haven't signed any of them yet, but these guys are considered to be tough signs or guys that fell due to commitments/injury. Hopefully we can pony up and get most of these guys in our system. Jordan took quite a few HS guys (19 this year, compared to 15 in '08 and 6 in '07), so hopefully he has had conversations with these guys about their signability and has them in the budget. It would be a great boost to the lower minors, and I expect that we'll add a few of them.

Also, in my first post I said that Tyler Naquin was committed to San Jac JuCo, in the Spring he committed to Texas A&M. Makes it tougher to sign him, but hopefully we'll still pursue him.

Good news on Townsend. I just finished reading the Sun article with the Hobgood quote. It's so refreshing, particularly in this draft, to see some young guys who are talented and fans of the O's coming into the fold.

So, is the GCL a likely destination for Hobbs'?

I remember JJ saying they would stick him at a level above where they normally stick HS kids out of the draft. Im thinking Bluefield or possibly Aberdeen.....

Duke, I didnt know that we drafted all of these guys overslot in the latter rounds, so some of these guys are quality picks?

This is a draft that I'm quickly beginning to favor, unlike last year which took me a few weeks to warm up to--this draft has raw, but talented players hopefully on their way to our system.

I remember JJ saying they would stick him at a level above where they normally stick HS kids out of the draft. Im thinking Bluefield or possibly Aberdeen.....

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I almost want to say go for Aberdeen and challenge him early. It might be a little less conservative of Stockstill to do this, but the kid seems to want the challenge. It will be interesting to see the choice.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I almost want to say go for Aberdeen and challenge him early. It might be a little less conservative of Stockstill to do this, but the kid seems to want the challenge. It will be interesting to see the choice.

No, that may actually be his destination. Didnt Hoes and Avery start off at Bluefield last year? If thats where they started, then expect to see Hobgood at Aberdeen. He can handle it based off of his stuff

This is a draft that I'm quickly beginning to favor, unlike last year which took me a few weeks to warm up to--this draft has raw, but talented players hopefully on their way to our system.

I couldnt agree with you more....The arms we took last year werent all that exciting other than Matusz and Bundy.....Zagone pick puzzled me until he started pitching in our minors but still doesnt have much projection and is a soft tosser. Ollie Drake didnt excite me until I got to read more of him last year, but this year its like we took a whole bunch of Bundy's . We took a whole lot of raw talent and I really like this year's draft, it will be a big part of our development as a ball club.....The value picks we got were amazing, especially with Berry in the 9th pick.....

Depending on who signs and for how much, it looks solid. I'd be curious to know how much is budgeted for signing these kids. I'd imagine the team isn't counting on signing all of them.

So, if BAL finishes right around where their budget was, great. If money is left on the table that may be an indication that one of the signable but more expensive kids would have been preferable. If they go over budget and still sign the kids, that would mean Jordan is getting his guys -- outstanding.

Archived