Strasburg may need "wa" where he's going...

Mad Mark

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/02/AR2009070201804.html

Boras, in his continuing crusade to end the draft (and increase his own wealth), may try to take Strasburg to Japan...

This summer, Boras has another high-profile client, San Diego State pitcher Stephen Strasburg, for whom he would love nothing more than to blow apart baseball's draft system, allowing Strasburg to be compensated in line with his talent -- his asking price is believed to be around $50 million -- as opposed to within the parameters of the current system, in which no player has ever received more than $10.5 million.

Even before talks began with the Washington Nationals, who made Strasburg the first overall pick June 9, Boras was dropping hints privately that he is preparing to explore a new frontier in his ongoing draft-busting crusade: Japan.

Such a ploy, were Boras to go in that direction, could involve a variety of issues, from the complex relationship between Major League Baseball and Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball, the residency requirements of both countries and, of course, the Major League Rules.

LOL if Boras is telling some kid to bluff going to Japan to get him more money he completely deserves to be ignored and forced to take the bluff.

That's right Scott, do you really think the kid's parents are going to be happy with a kid of that talent being forced to pitch in a lesser league half way across the world just so you could get a few bucks?

It's a shame Washington is in the position they are of having had a player not sign last year making the public relations more difficult.

In a perfect world I'd be more than fair to Strasburg - offer him David price money + 10-15% and it'd be a take it or leave it deal and I'd take my chances w/the #2 pick next year.

Archived