Carolina Top 20 released

blazer

This list really baffle me. Where was David Hernandez?? Erbe had a down year and I can't believe that he would be in the Top 20 and Bergesen didn't really pitch well either. If you did a top 10 list for pitchers in the Orioles organization, Hernandez would be ahead of Bergesen, IMO..

As down a year as Erbe had, he still is very young and has great stuff.

Maybe so, but come on did he deserve top 20 recognition!! I don't think so!!

If this is what this list is all about, then it really doesn't matter what you do during the season. Hernandez lead the league in strikeouts and their was nobody even close to him and he finished the season very hot so I'm dissapointed that he didn't get in the top 20 list.

The season matters some, but this isn't a list of the 20 best seasons.

Then what is this list??? Bergeson ahead of Hernandez, I don't think so. Don't get me wrong Bergerson is a quality pitcher but I think Hernandez has more of an upside then Bergeson,IMO.

It's their opinion of the guys who have the best potential to not only make the big leagues but be productive players there. They rank in order who they think will be the best big leaguers. It's subjective and full of opinion. Some guys on the list will flame out, and some guys on the lower end of that list will do better than some on the higher end. It's an educated guess. But it's also all subjective.

It's their opinion of the guys who have the best potential to not only make the big leagues but be productive players there. They rank in order who they think will be the best big leaguers. It's subjective and full of opinion. Some guys on the list will flame out, and some guys on the lower end of that list will do better than some on the higher end. It's an educated guess. But it's also all subjective.

Ok, let me ask you a question. Do you think Bergeson has more potential to make the big leagues than Hernandez? If you did a top 10 list for pitchers in our organization Hernandez would be ahead Bergeson.

This is an interesting list, considering #3 and #4 didn't finish the season in the Carolina League. (Elvis Andrus went to the Texas Org in the Texiera deal, and Max Ramirez also went to Texas in the Kenny Lofton deal)

Interesting that Jordan Schafer is #1. He was pretty impressive the times I saw him this season (I interned with a Carolina League team), but I have to disagree with him being ahead of Marrero. I was really, really impressed by Marrero. His defense is sub-par and he doesn't have great speed, but man can he hit. He hits for power to all fields, can take a walk, and is still a pretty young kid. I think he has big time slugger in the making.

I also like the guy rated at #20, Kyle McCulloch from Winston-Salem. I thought he had pretty good stuff when I saw him, and I think he has a pretty good shot at being a ML starter someday.

Oh, and BTW, Adam Carr, at #9, was an absolutely lights out reliever for Potomac. He throws gas, and really embraced the closer role when he got his chance to do so. He is a pretty emotional guy, and definitely someone who can get ML hitters out in the bullpen.

Just a few thoughts on some of the non-Orioles guys on this list.

Ok, let me ask you a question. Do you think Bergeson has more potential to make the big leagues than Hernandez? If you did a top 10 list for pitchers in our organization Hernandez would be ahead Bergeson.

BA compiles the list based on assessment from league managers and scouts. Do you have a basis to contest the list?

That list is some nice kudos for the Frederick staff, IMO.

Bergesen is DeMacio's last gift to the organization. Nice to see him get this kind of recognition. I've posted before that I think Jordan is doing very well, but, after some poor drafting initially, DeMacio really picked up the drafting in 2002-2004 and may have been let go prematurely - possibly a good debate for another thread.

Finally the O's get significant recogition:

6. Chorye Spoone (#1 pitcher)

7. Brandon Erbe (#2 pitcher)

16. Brad Bergesen (#8 pitcher)

The only guy I'm surprised did not make it towards the end of the list is David Hernandez, who had a great finish to the season.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/leaguetop20/2007/

I'm also suprised that Hernandez isn't on this list.:confused: I know his ERA was high, but so were a number of pitchers who were on this list and didn't have numbers that Hernandez had. Like his Walk to strikout ratio, lead the league in strikeouts. I just don't understand with numbers like that, not to be on the list,IMO.

Archived