One writer makes the case for Pomeranz

Word going around the baseball world as of late is that the O’s will take right handed high school pitcher Jameson Taillon out of The Woodlands High School in Texas.

I, on the other hand think the O’s would be best suited taking University of Mississippi and Tennessee native left hander Drew Pomeranz.

Pomeranz, drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 12th round of the 2007 entry draft, not signing, is the younger brother of Stuart Pomeranz, a pitcher in the St.Louis Cardinals minor league farm system.

While attending Collierville High School in Collierville, Tennessee Pomeranz was a finalist for the Gatorade Player of the Year award for the state of Tennessee in his senior year, while also earning three All-Region selections in 2005, 2006 and 2007. Pomeranz is also a three time Best of the Preps selection by the Commercial Appeal earning the honour in 2005, 2006 & 2007. He was also named a Louisville Slugger All-America selection as a junior in 2006, a pre-season Louisville Slugger All-America selection as a senior in 2007 and Most Valuable Player of his team in 2007. He posted a high school career record of 20-6 with 11 saves and a 2.21 ERA while striking out 312 and walking 91 in 181.0 innings pitched.

The impressive high school numbers earned him the right to attend the University of Mississippi where he continued his promising pitching career.

In 2008, Pomeranz was selected as a Freshman All-America and All-SEC Freshman while making 17 appearances, 11 of which were starts on the season. In total he worked 71.1 innings and finished out the year with a 4-3 record, as he struck out 81 and walked 30 with a 4.16 ERA.

In 2009, Pomeranz was an All-SEC Second Team selection starting 16 games finishing the season with an 8-4 record and a team leading 3.40 ERA among starters. He walked 37 and struck out 124 in 95.1 innings of work and even completed two games on the season, while holding opponents to a .237 batting average against. What could be most impressive about Pomeranz was that he turned in six double-digit strikeout performances.

Pomeranz has slipped down many mock draft lists due to some bad starts recently, but people seem to forget the pitcher has been dealing with an injury to his pectoral muscle, which has affected his control.

The Orioles would be hard up to pass on a 6’5, 231 lbs left hander who has control of three pitches and works deep into games. That type of player does not come around often.

If I were involved in making this decision the right choice for me would be Drew Pomeranz.

We shall see if the O’s agree with me.

http://orioles.gearupforsports.com/blog/2010/05/2010-mlb-draft-analysis-pick-3-the-baltimore-orioles-drew-pomeranz/

After Harper and Taillon, Drew Pomeranz could be a nice pick, but many (including me) were expecting a better performance from him.

As Stotle said, command issues and ability to repeat his delivery over starts are the main concerns.

After Harper and Taillon, Drew Pomeranz could be a nice pick, but many (including me) were expecting a better performance from him.

As Stotle said, command issues and ability to repeat his delivery over starts are the main concerns.

I agree, and I like Pomeranz a lot, but it almost sounds like he has tougher issues to overcomes as a college pitcher than Taillon does as a HSer. Command, ability to repeat delivery both maybe go hand in hand, but also the fact they aren't fixed by now is somewhat of a concern and red flag.

Pomeranz is by far the best pitcher in arguably the best Conference.

Player                        ERA   W-L   APP  GS  CG SHO/CBO SV    IP   H   R  ER  BB  SO  2B  3B  HR   AB B/Avg   WP HBP  BK   D. Pomeranz, UM............  2.39   7-2    14  14   0   0/1    0  86.2  58  25  23  45 127   8   2   7  311  .186    1   5   0  

45 walks in 86 innings isn't too stellar, however he's more of a sure thing than Taillon.

I agree, and I like Pomeranz a lot, but it almost sounds like he has tougher issues to overcomes as a college pitcher than Taillon does as a HSer. Command, ability to repeat delivery both maybe go hand in hand, but also the fact they aren't fixed by now is somewhat of a concern and red flag.

This is accurate. Pomeranz is a fine pitcher, but really profiles as a mid-rotation starter. He lacks command and, at times, control. Walks too many. Arm action isn't conducive to future command. Slips into "windmill" mode. Good bet to be durable and to make Majors, but not a Top 10 guy on upside.

The way things are going, I believe that the player we don't pick will have been the correct choice.

This is probably true of about 90 per cent of all draft choices by all teams, especially in the first few rounds.

How often does any draft choice turn out to have been the very best of all the available players? Not too often, I think. Even when a draft choice turns out to have a good career, if you look through all the players drafted after him, you can usually find at least one or two who turned out better.

Again Pommeranz vs. Tallion is all about upside. Pommeranz has 3 years of college and much farther along. He'll reach the major in 2 or 3 years and projects as a # 2 or # 3 starter. Very solid, but not spectacular as the 3rd pick in the draft. Tallion is probably 4 years away from contributing but with his arsenal he projects as a top of the rotation guy. Tallion has the potential to be great, but also carries the most risk, while Pommeranz is the safer bet to make the majors and not flame out.

I'm thinking if Taillon is grabbed by the Pirates, that we could possibly take Pomeranz. I think AM likes pitching in the first round. I'm wondering if we could go with someone like Cox, though? Maybe we will be looking for a "safer" pick that will be here sooner rather than later?

Again Pommeranz vs. Tallion is all about upside. Pommeranz has 3 years of college and much farther along. He'll reach the major in 2 or 3 years and projects as a # 2 or # 3 starter. Very solid, but not spectacular as the 3rd pick in the draft. Tallion is probably 4 years away from contributing but with his arsenal he projects as a top of the rotation guy. Tallion has the potential to be great, but also carries the most risk, while Pommeranz is the safer bet to make the majors and not flame out.

I don't know if he projects to be a #2 or 3 starter. Maybe I'm just harder on him than most, but I have him as a back of the rotation/RP.

Archived