As if the Indians needed this right now...

ChaosLex

"SF Chronicle is reporting that Indians SP Paul Byrd purchased nearly $25,000 worth of HGH"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/news/story?id=3072845

To me, these stories are getting to the point where no one or nothing surprises me. It doesn't phase me a bit. Maybe he and Rafael Betancourt can sit next to each other and swap steroid stories on the depressing flight back to Cleveland tonight.

Everyone in MLB is dirty.

Exaggeration, yes. But Jose Canseco and his 85% claim is very accurate in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more!! That's why i didn't get bent out of shape about Bonds...He's no more guilty than anyone else. He just happens to be a better player than others who cheated.

I'm listening to the Indians radio feed of game 7 right now and the announcers just strongly suggested that the timing of the Byrd announcement was "very suspicious" in light of the fact that George Mitchell is on the board of the Red Sox. I haven't seen any indication that the reporter's information came from the Mitchell commission, but you do kind of have to wonder a little bit with the whole way the whole thing has been handled so far. Byrd himself has stated that the Chronicle reporters had the story 3 days ago and he found the announcement prior to game 7 troubling.

On the other hand, you have to question Byrd's story a little bit too. Why on earth was he getting his HGH from Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center? With the access he must have to top of the line medical experts, why weren't his prescriptions from some big-name, respected expert in the field of endocrinology if everything were really on the up-and-up? The whole thing is just sad.

Another thing that's ironic is that this story was printed a few days ago about the book Byrd has coming out in the spring about his religious faith. Did he reach out to the reporter to write the story as some kind of cover? Is it just coincidence? Did the story prompt someone to drop a dime on him? It's all just so wierd.

Everyone in MLB is dirty.

Exaggeration, yes. But Jose Canseco and his 85% claim is very accurate in my opinion.

If that's the case, is it the players who are dirty or the game? If anywhere near 85% were using (which wouldn't shock me), the bigger problem by far is the system, not the individual guys and how they got their stuff. I think a lot of generally decent, ethical individuals got caught up in something they never would have imagined until they found themselves in the middle of it.

I'm listening to the Indians radio feed of game 7 right now and the announcers just strongly suggested that the timing of the Byrd announcement was "very suspicious" in light of the fact that George Mitchell is on the board of the Red Sox. I haven't seen any indication that the reporter's information came from the Mitchell commission, but you do kind of have to wonder a little bit with the whole way the whole thing has been handled so far. Byrd himself has stated that the Chronicle reporters had the story 3 days ago and he found the announcement prior to game 7 troubling.

On the other hand, you have to question Byrd's story a little bit too. Why on earth was he getting his HGH from Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center? With the access he must have to top of the line medical experts, why weren't his prescriptions from some big-name, respected expert in the field of endocrinology if everything were really on the up-and-up? The whole thing is just sad.

Another thing that's ironic is that this story was printed a few days ago about the book Byrd has coming out in the spring about his religious faith. Did he reach out to the reporter to write the story as some kind of cover? Is it just coincidence? Did the story prompt someone to drop a dime on him? It's all just so wierd.

Great post...I was thinking about that article today as soon as I heard this news. According to Byrd, the SF Chronicle had this story "a few days ago". So who's to say when a few days ago was in relation to Byrd doing the interview about his faith and such. Certainly a thought.

It's unfortuante that we both are questioning Byrd's motives, when he seems like a decent enough human being. My gut is just to assume every player is lying or scheming in some way.

http://rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=mlb

Paul Byrd admits to using HGH, though he hasn't done during the season, because three different doctors diagnosed him as suffering from adult growth-hormone deficiency.

Byrd said he was diagnosed with a tumor on his pituitary gland at the base of his brain, a condition that may have contributed to his deficiency, doctors told him. He paid for his HGH with his own credit card, and MLB was aware of his usage of the substance. "I have not taken any hormone apart from a doctor's care and supervision," Byrd said. "The Indians, my coaches and MLB have known that I have had a pituitary gland issue for some time and have assisted me in getting blood tests in different states. I am currently working with an endocrinologist and will have another MRI on my head after the season to make sure that the tumor hasn't grown."

Mitchell has issued a statement denying that he or his investigators had anything to do with the timing of the Byrd leak and furthermore stating that he was not aware of the allegations against Byrd. Um... how is he almost ready to release his report when accusations are still coming out about once a week that he's not even aware of? Byrd got his stuff from Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center, one of the places everyone is aware of as a steroid/HGH source. If Mitchell can't even catch him, how does he think his information is anywhere near complete? It's just a crapshoot which players make it into the report and which don't... but I bet there won't be many Red Sox. Maybe he'll throw one or two to the wolves to cover his tuckus.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjA.iE2LQawgy_fxPHs5KBARvLYF?slug=ap-indians-byrd-hgh&prov=ap&type=lgns

Archived