Rockies, Tulowitzki Close to $120 Million Extension

BaltimoreTerp

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/29/report-rockies-close-to-ten-year-extension-with-troy-tulowitzki/

Basically, he just finished the third season of a six-year, $31 million deal. The extension will pick up the seventh-year option and add six more years at $120 million.

Wow. Part of me wants to say that they are brilliant for locking up one of the best players in the sport for essentially the rest of his career. The other part wants to ask them why they never learn when it comes to big-money deals.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/29/report-rockies-close-to-ten-year-extension-with-troy-tulowitzki/

Basically, he just finished the third season of a six-year, $31 million deal. The extension will pick up the seventh-year option and add six more years at $120 million.

Wow. Part of me wants to say that they are brilliant for locking up one of the best players in the sport for essentially the rest of his career. The other part wants to ask them why they never learn when it comes to big-money deals.

I always think of Tulowitzki like a (kind of) modern day Ripken.

This is pretty silly IMO. You have him locked into a great contract that expires after his age 29 season, which for a shortstop is probably just about perfect timing. Why ruin that by adding 6 or 7 years onto it? I understand the desire to make him a career Rockie, but I'd take my chances that I can beat all offers in 3 years. And if you're willing to put up this much money now, with all of the downside risk, you can definitely beat all offers in 3 years.

I think its a decent move by the Rockies, as if he keeps up his production, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 180-200M on the open market.

That said, its pretty hard to justify spending a quarter of your payroll on any player, no matter who that player is.

That said, its pretty hard to justify spending a quarter of your payroll on any player, no matter who that player is.

Agreed. I think that Tulo is a great player (and he lists Cal as an idol of his). But a key to their success will be being able to retain other talented guys like Ubaldo Jimenez and CarGo in the future also.

Tom Tango did a back-of-the-napkin analysis of the deal on his website, and while there was a little luck in some of the assumptions, he determined a fair deal based on historical comps was for $119M. If he ages really well, this could be a steal, if he ages really poorly an albatross. But if he's right down the middle you'd have a hard time faulting the deal.

Tom Tango did a back-of-the-napkin analysis of the deal on his website, and while there was a little luck in some of the assumptions, he determined a fair deal based on historical comps was for $119M. If he ages really well, this could be a steal, if he ages really poorly an albatross. But if he's right down the middle you'd have a hard time faulting the deal.

I saw that. That's actually pretty amusing that he came up with that exact number on the first try, though as you say it was with specific assumptions.

Archived