2009 Draft: #3 Aaron Crow

Ages (in parentheses) are as of the 2009 Draft...

#1 Stephen Strasburg, RHSP, San Diego State, (20), 6-5/220

#2 Grant Green, SS, USC, (21), 6-3/180

#3 Aaron Crow, RHSP, Fort Worth Cats, (22), 6-2/200

#4 Alex White, RHSP, UNC, (20), 6-3/195

#5 Dustin Ackley, 1B/CF, UNC, (21) 6-1/185

#6 Tyler Matzek, LHSP, H.S (CA)

#7 Kyle Gibson, RHSP, Missouri

#8 Matthew Purke, LHSP, H.S. (TX)

#9 Donovan Tate, OF, H.S. (GA)

#10 Mike Minor, LHSP, Vanderbilt

This is 'Part 3' in a ten-part series, and below I'll preview #3 overall prospect, Aaron Crow:

#3... Aaron Crow, RHSP, Fort Worth Cats, (22), 6-2/200

340x.jpg

Aaron Crow will be re-entering the draft after failing to sign with the Washington Nationals after they selected him with the 9th pick in the 2008 Draft. He signed with the independent league Fort Worth Cats and impressed in just a few appearances before the season ended.

Crow has the stuff of a ML ace, going right after hitters with his bulldog mentality, while incorporating three potentially plus pitches. Aaron won the Roger Clemens Award for his efforts in leading Missouri during the '08 season. He went undefeated at 13-0, had four shutouts and four complete games, and finished the season with 107.1 IP, a 2.35 ERA, 38 BB's, 127 K's and a 1.15 WHIP.

The Kansas native throws a low to mid-90's fastball, touching 96-97, a good hard slider that comes in around 87, and a change that shows real promise. Aaron has good poise and control, especially with his fastball, but is still working on being more consistent with his secondary offerings. Crow does have an odd little flip of his wrist during his windup, bringing to mind Rick Sutcliffe, and while it concerns some scouts, it hasn't affected Crow in the least.

Crow was considered a candidate to go #1 overall until the last weeks leading up to the draft, and fell down to #9 on draft day in part due to perceived financial demands. He has the makings of a front of the rotation starter and holds his velocity deep into games. Some have compared him to a young AJ Burnett, while others think he'll be a bit better. Time will tell, and his Fort Worth Cats stint should help to bring scouts to a more unilateral prognosis over his capabilities, and a top-five selection in the '09 Draft is a real possibility.

By whom? And he fell because there were eight better choices.

Aaron Crow had been talked about as a strong contender for the overall #1 pick as the season progressed, by most everyone.

As the draft neared he became less likely and although he was taken 9th, it was not likely because there were 8 better players, but more because of his $ demands. He was probably a 4-7 talent.

But I appreciate you explaining the reasons to me.

Edit: I explained a bit better what I was referring to regarding Crow going at #9 in the OP.

Aaron Crow had been talked about as a strong contender for the overall #1 pick as the season progressed, by most everyone.

Okay. Could you send me links where he's discussed as a choice for #1? I'd like to read those.

Thanks.

ETA: He might have been before the season, but he had a rather inconsistent season (relatively), and that caused him to drop.

Okay. Could you send me links where he's discussed as a choice for #1? I'd like to read those.

Thanks.

Without looking too deep...

Here is an article from BA...

Aaron Crow

Crow and Matusz are legitimate candidates to go No. 1 overall to the Rays. The top prospect in the Cape Cod League last summer, Crow's velocity (up to 98 mph), life and ability to hit both sides of the plate give him the best fastball in college baseball. The consensus is that he owns the best slider and arguably the best command as well. His changeup is a decent third pitch.

"In high school, he had a nice arm action but he was 84-86," a second front-office official said. "I saw him several times last year, and he sat at 93-96 with a good slider. The only question is durability. He's not a big guy and his delivery isn't effortless. How many innings he gives you is the question mark, but it's special stuff."

Another excerpt from BA in a mock draft...

7. REDS. When Crow put together a 43-inning scoreless streak early in the season, he looked like the top candidate to go No. 1, and Cincinnati would be thrilled if he somehow made it this far. One rumor that won't die pairs the Reds with Florida high school righthander/shortstop/quarterback Casey Kelly, who would be a bit of a reach. Casey's father Pat manages the organization's Rookie-level Gulf Coast League affiliate.

Thanks.

ETA: He might have been before the season, but he had a rather inconsistent season (relatively), and that caused him to drop.

Before the season and during... it was only later in the season that he fell a few spots. Regardless, he is very talented and has a chance to be special. We'll know a bit more in 6-8 months. :)

With the 5th pick I can see us going with a stud pitcher like Crow. Though a high caliber positional player is what many of us want, our front office may go again with pitching. They may want to have a dominant pitching staff:

Crow

Tillman

Matusz

Arrieta

Erbe(?)

I think we'll simply take the best player at #5... regardless of which position they play. A shortstop or starter would be great, but JJ will take a great young talent regardless. We'll know in a little more than 8 months. ;)

As far as Crow goes, the Independent League he is in would be considered at a similar 'level' as Single-A ball, with the caveat that some players are far superior to others. Some guys are AA ball worthy or better, while some would struggle at Rookie ball. This makes judging players more difficult. He'll need to dominate to grade out high, and showcase his mid-90's FB and continued improvement with his secondary offerings, to secure his status as one of the top young arms in the draft.

I'm always bit leery of a kid who doesn't sign an above slot offer... Makes me wonder if they really love the game and/or if they really have the confidence in their ability.

I'd also keep a close eye on his workout schedule leading up to the draft... Workouts for teams and trying to impress them is what led to Townsend getting hurt.

I'm always bit leery of a kid who doesn't sign an above slot offer... Makes me wonder if they really love the game and/or if they really have the confidence in their ability.

I'd also keep a close eye on his workout schedule leading up to the draft... Workouts for teams and trying to impress them is what led to Townsend getting hurt.

Yeah, while he's very talented, any number of factors could drop him down the board. I have him at #3 at the moment, but once the collegiate season gets underway, we'll have a better feel for how the various players compare. White, Gibson, Oliver, Matzek, Purke, etc... could all wind up better than Crow.

Thanks.

They were still giving him a chance to go #1 in April and early May, it wasn't until the final stretch of the season that Matusz pulled away from him as the top pitching prospect, and the projection of him going no. 1 was based on him being one of the top 2 pitchers in the draft.

If a team picking no. 1 has say 5 prospects ranked almost even, or at least with balancing pros and cons, and they decide to go SP, that narrows it down to the two of them, so it's 50/50 by that thinking that he could have gone no. 1 :)

Archived