Keith Law: O's early intention to pick Hultzen or Jed Bradley

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Youtube video:

Written Scouting report: http://baseballbeginnings.com/2011/03/22/jed-bradley-report

Audio of a second Scouting report: http://www.dialmycalls.com/message/22504942/DC1182278/?utm_source=critsend&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default

Just based off of some quick research, he sounds a little like Zach Britton: Big Strong Lefty (6'4", 224lbs) w/ plus velocity (comfortable around 92) and late movement on his FB "going to create a lot of groundballs, not only in college, but at the next level"

I could get behind a Bradley pick. Not necessarily the guy I'd pick, but certainly a defensible one. Very good bet to stick in a ML rotation and he's got the upside to become a front-end lefty. Bigger frame and harder stuff (not by a ton) than Hultzen. He's a guy that could follow a Matusz-esque track to the big leagues and be a big help to the rotation starting in 2014.

Callis did say that Bradley would be the first college pitcher off the board...after Cole.

But then ranked him the fourth best college arm after Cole, Gray, Hultzen in last week's updated Top 50 from BA....

And the 7th best college arm preseason, behind Cole, Purke, Gray, Jungmann, Barnes and Hultzen...

I don't consider Callis out in front on Bradley, no offense.

But then ranked him the fourth best college arm after Cole, Gray, Hultzen in last week's updated Top 50 from BA....

And the 7th best college arm preseason, behind Cole, Purke, Gray, Jungmann, Barnes and Hultzen...

I don't consider Callis out in front on Bradley, no offense.

Well, let's not confuse Callis' opinion with the consensus opinion of the BA Staff. Both the preseason rankings and mid-season rankings were collaborations of the entire BA Staff. I'm not sure where Callis said Bradley would be 2nd college arm off the board, so I can't speak for sure about that, but it's possible that Callis' opinion of Bradley is higher than the rest of the BA staff.

Well, let's not confuse Callis' opinion with the consensus opinion of the BA Staff. Both the preseason rankings and mid-season rankings were collaborations of the entire BA Staff. I'm not sure where Callis said Bradley would be 2nd college arm off the board, so I can't speak for sure about that, but it's possible that Callis' opinion of Bradley is higher than the rest of the BA staff.

We're not confusing it. I have spoken with some of the staff about it.

EDIT -- I should clarify that I've spoken to some of the staff about the general ranking process, and I do not feel that if Mr. Callis liked Bradley as the second best college arm that Bradley would be ranked 7th and 4th out of college arms on these lists (though Mssrs. Manuel and Fitt are the college point men). I could see a situation where Callis thinks someone is the 3rd or 4th best arm but will be the 2nd off the board, but that is different from Callis liking him second.

And all of this is of course with the understanding that I'm sure these gentlemen get a wide variance in opinion with such a closely packed class.

We're not confusing it. I have spoken with some of the staff about it.

EDIT -- I should clarify that I've spoken to some of the staff about the general ranking process, and I do not feel that if Mr. Callis liked Bradley as the second best college arm that Bradley would be ranked 7th and 4th out of college arms on these lists (though Mssrs. Manuel and Fitt are the college point men). I could see a situation where Callis thinks someone is the 3rd or 4th best arm but will be the 2nd off the board, but that is different from Callis liking him second.

And all of this is of course with the understanding that I'm sure these gentlemen get a wide variance in opinion with such a closely packed class.

Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense.

So do you think that Hultzen's contact demands or helicopter father could help a guy like Bradley jump him in draft slot, if not talent rankings?

And a separate note: that wide variance of opinion among these top players is whats going to make this year's draft so fun, right?! It's a shame the O's don't have more picks. :(

Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense.

So do you think that Hultzen's contact demands or helicopter father could help a guy like Bradley jump him in draft slot, if not talent rankings?

And a separate note: that wide variance of opinion among these top players is whats going to make this year's draft so fun, right?! It's a shame the O's don't have more picks. :(

Yeah, the first day is just going to be so much fun. I know I'm a broken record but the Orioles fan in me shudders to think about the hauls BOS/TOR/TAM are going to have in this class. I just worked through a rough cut at an updated Top 60 and I think everyone on the list would have made the Top 20 for me in last year's draft.

I think Hultzen and Bradley are an interesting comparison. Different games, builds, arsenals, but are going to get comparisons because they are both lefties. I am not sure what to make of the off-the-field issues (price demands are unknown to me re: Hultzen; I have heard that his dad is heavily involved, but I'm not sure how serious the family is about Danny staying four years and graduating). I think Bradley ranks ahead of Hultzen on future talent (OFP) but carries more risk, as Hultzen is a more consistent arm and has a track record of precision. I don't see any danger with Hultzen's bump-up in velo and command -- exiting 2010 he was still quite projectable and he has gotten stronger and started throwing harder. I think drafting orgs could have either ranked higher, depending on what they are looking for. I could definitely understand why a team like Arizona or Baltimore might prefer Hultzen.

Bradley had his third straight so-so start today -- this time a bad loss to Wake. Took Bradley 100 pitches to get through five innings. He allowed 5 runs (3 earned) on 4 hits and 4 walks, struck out 8. A little more luck could have prettied up the game line, but the come-and-go command/control remains a concern.

Sonny Gray wasn't exactly electric over the weekend either. Granted it was against South Carolina but he gave up three runs and 11 hits in seven innings. I know there is so much talk about all the talent in this draft but to me there isn't an obvious pick at number four, unless someone unexpectedly slides...

Archived