Worst ten draft picks in last ten years according to Kevin Goldstein of Baseball prospectus via ESPN

Via ESPN Insider

1)Matt Bush San Diego

2) Wade Towsend Orioles :mad:

3) Colt Griffin KC

4) Chris Smith Orioles :mad:

5) Kyle Sheeth Detroit

6) Billy Rowell Orioles :mad:

7) Kyle Skipworth Marlins

8) Matt Hobgood Orioles :mad:

9) Casey Weathers Rockies

10) Chris Lubanski KC

Notice a pattern ? O's have 4 of the 10 worst. The only other team with two was

KC .....

Some notes from the article ... The writer mentions Hobgood signing below slot and another pitcher who lost his fastball in the Orioles organization. Says he rarely is clocked in the 90's .

This is really depressing and this can't all be blamed on old regimes.

was already posted in minors forum.

Hobgood on this list is incredibly unfair at this point in his career, and I would remove those whose lack of performance was due to injury as well (Sleeth, Smith, Townsend, Weathers). And listing Townsend as an Orioles pick is probably unfair as well, considering it was the Rays who actually signed him and got nothing tangible in return.

It was a flub selection of Hobgood because they wasted their early round selection on a late first rounder who quickly signed for below slot money. The writer says it may still be early but the guy lost his fastball and also now has injury concerns.... You can blame injuries if you'd like ....The Orioles drafted C Smith knowing he was a short burly guy. How many pitchers stay healthy with that build?

It was a flub selection of Hobgood because they wasted their early round selection on a late first rounder who quickly signed for below slot money. The writer says it may still be early but the guy lost his fastball and also now has injury concerns.... You can blame injuries if you'd like ....The Orioles drafted C Smith knowing he was a short burly guy. How many pitchers stay healthy with that build?

Quick, who should the O's have taken instead of Hobgood?

Matzek, talent wise, Gibson if you can get past the minor injury, Leake or Minor if you are looking signability.

Do you think it's justifiable to have taken Hobgood, based only on what you knew then? If the plan was to spend alot on overslots later, which apparently it was, Hobgood seems justifiable, though ultimately wrong. He sat in the mid-90's with a plus curve, and seemed like a strong durable kid. Based on the price difference between he and Matzek I'd say that's a good pick. If you compare him to Leake, I can see a hind-sight argument. But, the reports on Hobgood were very strong, he just hasn't produced to what we heard.

Do you think it's justifiable to have taken Hobgood, based only on what you knew then? If the plan was to spend alot on overslots later, which apparently it was, Hobgood seems justifiable, though ultimately wrong. He sat in the mid-90's with a plus curve, and seemed like a strong durable kid. Based on the price difference between he and Matzek I'd say that's a good pick. If you compare him to Leake, I can see a hind-sight argument. But, the reports on Hobgood were very strong, he just hasn't produced to what we heard.

I never liked the pick. I tried to go with the, well he's the professional, I guess you have to trust him approach, since a few other teams in the teens were rumored to be looking at him. He just never entered the picture for me at all, kind of like A. Bradley right now. Maybe not as severe, but I had Archie rated in the 10-12 range, with guys like Hultzen, Gray, Jungmann, Lindor, Barnes, J. Bradley etc. out there I just don't see it. It's not like Bradley would be a cheap signing and they are going to save money, if they are taking him it's cause they legit have him the 4th BPA, maybe I'm just not as good at this stuff as I think, but I don't agree with Bradley in the top 5.

Sorry, But the value of having a top 5 is that you can get one of the best players. Hobgood was not one of the top five guys. The Orioles could've over paid in the later rounds with the money they wasted on Gonzalez, Lee, Vlad etc etc.

Sorry, But the value of having a top 5 is that you can get one of the best players. Hobgood was not one of the top five guys. The Orioles could've over paid in the later rounds with the money they wasted on Gonzalez, Lee, Vlad etc etc.

They could have overpaid and gotten Cole...just sayin'.

Not too many, but physicality has been something that has stopped the O's from drafting somebody before and now they are constantly blamed for it. I'm thinking of Lincecum. I know he's not short and burly, but he does have the quirky delivery and, consequently, a similar question of durability.

Not too many, but physicality has been something that has stopped the O's from drafting somebody before and now they are constantly blamed for it. I'm thinking of Lincecum. I know he's not short and burly, but he does have the quirky delivery and, consequently, a similar question of durability.

I still don't fault them for Lincey, he's the exception, not the rule, but now it's got teams almost ignoring problems like that out of fear and that is going to cause trouble later I think.

Quick, who should the O's have taken instead of Hobgood?

I could look back at last years draft thread ....There many names being mentioned here before we selected Hobgood. Everyone was surprised...some were disappointed.

The Orioles should be drafting Rendon if there or Starling if not....They would add a stud blue chipper in a area of need. I think I'd reach for Cron before I'd take a HS pitcher...I still cant believe they'd pass on Bundy to take this guy...How stupid can they be???

Archived