Worst ten draft picks in last ten years according to Kevin Goldstein of Baseball prospectus via ESPN

There is already a thread on this topic on the minor league board, that is several days old. I will wait until the end of 2012 before passing judgment on the Hobgood pick. He's been hurt this season, and we really don't know whether the same injury existed last year or even in 2009. The guy is still only 20 years old, and has time to produce. I'd say there's certainly a good chance he'll belong on this list then, but I will let things play out.

Why is Wade Townsend listed as a draft bust for the Orioles? He didn't sign which netted the O's a compensation pick in the next years draft. That pick turned out to be a decent player if I remember correctly, although I forget who it was.. Garrett Olson maybe? Anyway, Townsend should be listed a draft bust for the Rays, not the O's.

Why is Wade Townsend listed as a draft bust for the Orioles? He didn't sign which netted the O's a compensation pick in the next years draft. That pick turned out to be a decent player if I remember correctly, although I forget who it was.. Garrett Olson maybe? Anyway, Townsend should be listed a draft bust for the Rays, not the O's.

He was pinned on both the Orioles and Tampa. He was that big of a bust and we wasted a year of development from some other player diddling with what would end up being a horrible selection by Tampa.

Matzek, talent wise, Gibson if you can get past the minor injury, Leake or Minor if you are looking signability.

Pretty sure Matzek got sent back down to Low A after getting bombed in A ball, Gibson is a tough choice with the injury, Leake obviously has some character issues at least now(to be making millions and be a major league pitcher and to steal a tshirt from a store???), and Minor I thought was looking for a lot of money...could be wrong and even with that you could argue, since we are arguing two years in Hobgood is a bust, he is turning out to be a AAAA player.

Sorry, But the value of having a top 5 is that you can get one of the best players. Hobgood was not one of the top five guys. The Orioles could've over paid in the later rounds with the money they wasted on Gonzalez, Lee, Vlad etc etc.

I know time flies, but you guys do realize that Hobgood was the O's 2009 1st rounder not 2010?

There is already a thread on this topic on the minor league board, that is several days old. I will wait until the end of 2012 before passing judgment on the Hobgood pick. He's been hurt this season, and we really don't know whether the same injury existed last year or even in 2009. The guy is still only 20 years old, and has time to produce. I'd say there's certainly a good chance he'll belong on this list then, but I will let things play out.

I envy your patience. Amazing.

Archived