Why am I preparing myself for the Orioles to select Bauer?

I have read a few articles from the sun and one thing jumps out at me. You keep hearing that the Orioles are waiting for the domino's to fall, but we are picking 4th overall. If the top pitcher's on your board are Cole, Hultzen, Bundy and Bauer and you are set on selecting a pitcher even if Redon, Starling or Lindor are sitting there, then you would think it wouldn't be a very big deal who goes number 1, 2, or 3?

I would love for Rendon and Bundy to be there when we picked 4th and witness the ultimate bashing when we pass on Rendon due to injury concerns which may or may not be warranted. At this point I think you look for elite prospects and I would be happy with Cole, Rendon, Bundy or Starling. Those are the four guys that interest me the most. All things considered, I would probably take Starling if I knew he would give up football.

I'm not going to pretend that I know who they should take. Even guys like Stotle, AllStar & RVA, who put alot of time and effort into this, would probably tell you there isn't alot of difference between the top guys. If they pass on Rendon b/c of medicals, so be it. Jordan and his staff know way more about this than all of us combined except the above mentioned posters.

Just based on the things I've heard about them, I'd put my preference at:

Rendon (assuming medicals are viewed and cleared, if not then pass)

Cole

Bundy

Hultzen

This draft scares me only because of one fact: although the talent is highly rated, the majority of the top talent is just coming out of high school. Those players, whether position player or pitcher, tend to take a while to develop, if they develop at all.

Archived