Would you pay $10 mm to any high school pitcher in this year's draft?

Would you pay $10 mm for any high school pitcher in this draft?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay $10 mm for any high school pitcher in this draft?

• Yes, for Bundy
    • Yes, for Bundy or Bradley
    • Yes, for someone else (name)
    • No way

I just read the rumor that Bundy is demanding $30 mm and Bradley $20 mm. Obviously, those are (1) rumors, and (2) demands, not contracts. But in any event, if I were a GM I would have an extremely hard time justifying paying $10 mm+ for any high school pitcher. There's just such a high risk of injury or disappointing performance. I'd rather spend $1 mm on 10 arms than $10 mm on one. No high school pitcher has ever received an 8-figure bonus, and I don't see it happening this year, either.

I think Bundy wants to fall to the Orioles. It seems his brother hints at that also.

I think we get him in the fold for Machado money. Maybe a little more. But cant see us going past 7 million.

These HSers are not going to get $10M.

Even a HS pitcher of historic proportions should not generate that kind of $ - if one looks at the signing bonuses of recent top HS pitchers such as Porcello, Kershaw, Wheeler, etc - none are close to $10M - and neither are any hitters outside of Harper such as Upton, Machado, Tate, TBeckham, etc.

I would be shocked if the Os gave up more than $7M in any deal to anyone drafted fourth overall. Machado, Matusz and Wieters are good comps as elite draft talents and none received over $6M.

I just read the rumor that Bundy is demanding $30 mm and Bradley $20 mm. Obviously, those are (1) rumors, and (2) demands, not contracts. But in any event, if I were a GM I would have an extremely hard time justifying paying $10 mm+ for any high school pitcher. There's just such a high risk of injury or disappointing performance. I'd rather spend $1 mm on 10 arms than $10 mm on one. No high school pitcher has ever received an 8-figure bonus, and I don't see it happening this year, either.

If we draft either of these guys we will pay eight million I think.

These HSers are not going to get $10M.

Even a HS pitcher of historic proportions should not generate that kind of $ - if one looks at the signing bonuses of recent top HS pitchers such as Porcello, Kershaw, Wheeler, etc - none are close to $10M - and neither are any hitters outside of Harper such as Upton, Machado, Tate, TBeckham, etc.

I would be shocked if the Os gave up more than $7M in any deal to anyone drafted fourth overall. Machado, Matusz and Wieters are good comps as elite draft talents and none received over $6M.

Well, I think we are seeing some draft inflation, and also I keep hearing how this is one of the strongest drafts ever, so perhaps it's a year where the no. 4 pick might be as good as the no. 1 pick in other years. Even so, I do agree that the numbers really shouldn't end up that high despite the rumored demands.

Archived