AM not looking for Yankees Big 3 in Tejada Trade

O no

I've heard this proposal sveral times. What would the Yankees do with Millar?

Be an offensive upgrade over Mientkiewicz, especially if they are looking to move Giambi, whom it has been rumored they are looking to move with his steady decline in all offensive categories besides OBP.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Read the entire post, where I prefaced my point with I wouldn't want Melky as the centerpiece of the deal.

Now, I am not so sure that a .775 OPS is average for a CF, I will check on it and get back to you. A .775 OPS would have placed him 9th among CF qualifiers, so if he can improve to this level he is among the top 33% of CF.

Of course I am projecting, but he is just 23 years old with a 1000 ABs.

Checked it out ... Cabrera was average CF offensively as a 22 year old. He finished 16th among CF qualifiers in OPS. Now, again, I am figuring he will improve. Maybe I am wrong.

But thanks for taking my comments out of context.

Interesting that I didn't hear back on this. I still think Melky would be a good get as long as we got Jackson back with him.

Interesting that I didn't hear back on this. I still think Melky would be a good get as long as we got Jackson back with him.
.775 OPS would be a bit better than average offensively out of a CF, but I'm not terribly impressed with his defense in CF, so I think he'd be about average overall. Plus, I really don't think he has much upside to be better than that, whereas someone like Pie could fizzle, but he also has the upside to be an AS-caliber CF.

I'd take Melky back as part of a deal for Tejada, but would much prefer a lot of other players to him, including Tabata.

I have no idea what he's gonna hit like. If he hits .300 like he did most of this year, I'd be happy with that for a CF'er. Especially one who plays CF like I think he plays it. I watched him a bunch on TV, not just O's games either. I think he'd be a big upgrade over CPat: he plays in the right place (which CPat doesn't), he gets a good jump (which CPat doesn't), he can go for a ball in any direction (which CPat can't), and he gets rid of the ball in a hurry and can throw strikes to the plate (which CPat can't). I don't know where the D rankings come from, but I like how this guys looks in CF. (He's not as fast as CPat, but let's face it: speed is pretty much the only thing about CPat that's a plus.) Like I said, I have no particular opinion about how Melky's gonna hit. If he can hit OK, then I think he could solve CF for a while (which CPat can't, he's only worth thinking about for a year, maybe two).

.775 OPS would be a bit better than average offensively out of a CF, but I'm not terribly impressed with his defense in CF, so I think he'd be about average overall. Plus, I really don't think he has much upside to be better than that, whereas someone like Pie could fizzle, but he also has the upside to be an AS-caliber CF.

I'd take Melky back as part of a deal for Tejada, but would much prefer a lot of other players to him, including Tabata.

No doubt I prefer Tabata as well. Not sure if we are going to get him. Prefer Pie also, but not by that much. Also found it interesting that Shack likes his defense and you don't. I haven't seen him enough to know.

Be an offensive upgrade over Mientkiewicz, especially if they are looking to move Giambi, whom it has been rumored they are looking to move with his steady decline in all offensive categories besides OBP.

I don't think Millar would be a better righthanded firstbase option for the Yankees than Shelly Duncan who would certainly hit more HR's.

I have a real hard time seeing the Yankees trading both of their near-term, in-house CF options, Cabrera and Jackson.

I suspect either one is available largely because of the existence of the other.

Archived