Nick Markakis - RF

Adam Jones - CF

Vladimir Guerrero - DH

Matt Wieters - C

Derrek Lee -1B

Luke Scott - LF

Mark Reynolds - 3B

Robert Andino - 2B

Zach “GREAT” Britton – P (6-5, 3.19 ERA)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Two AL Central teams with talented players in something somewhat like this situation. Andres Gimenez is a quiet star and took the Platinum Glove last year.    He was a SS coming up the Mets system, the Guardians got him and Amed Rosario for Lindor.   Gimenez moved over to 2B and has been great - the Guardians are somewhat having open tryouts at SS this spring, but it looks like Gimenez isn't part of that mix. Twins' Brooks Lee was a college shortstop in the early 2022 1-1 conversations before Holliday and Druw Jones separated.     He was all SS in the Minors last year, has a Carlos Correa-Royce Lewis stack in front of him, and could end up at 2B if Edouard Julien can't field it.
    • Well, my thinking is if we were trying to improve a rotation with an assumed healthy Means and Bradish, then we might still be looking for someone else to replace them now. If this was more in response to the injuries to Means and Bradish, then Elias is probably done for now. 
    • That research makes me wonder if a Club's typical number of 5-4-3 double plays could get as high as 50-60.    I think those pivots get counted as chances and shortstops don't get similar ones except 3-6-3's, of which I believe Ryan Mountcastle has about two in his career. B-Ref shows about 115 grounded double plays/team last year, so 50's probably a too high guess.    Its probably more like 80-85 up the middle, 30-35 around the horn.
    • I believe Westburg will be a good but light version of a Bergman type player. Want to see Mayo play at the MLB level before making his comparison 
    • I think this is probably right, but I’m interested to see if he’s able to minimize some of his flaws this year.  He seemed to be making some progress in the second half last year, though it could have just been a prolonged hot streak.  Jury’s still out a little IMO.    As mentioned, I also think Westburg has a lot more in the tank than he showed during his decent major league debut.   
    • Would that have to do with the elimination of the shift? In 2022 and prior, you’d have SS and 3B getting chances on the right side.
    • It matters if you think there is a significant upside gap between Westburg and Mayo. I agree if you feel good about Westburg as an everyday player the pressure on Mayo's glove is less.     Clay Davenport's six-year forecasts basically envision Mayo as a 3-win player and Westburg as a 2-win player. Somewhere around that range is a tipping point where Sigbots gain inner peace letting a player play 155 games.     I think Mayo might be that, and Westburg isn't.
  • Popular Contributors