Washington Nationals: 78-80

NewMarketSean

Some of the Nats' young pitchers are actually producing.

Zimmerman, age 25, 2nd round pick 2007: 3.18 ERA in 161.1 IP

Detwiler, age 25, 1st round pick 2007: 3.00 ERA in 66 IP

Lannan, age 26, 11th round pick 2005: 3.73 ERA in 178.2 IP

Storen, age 23, 1st round pick 2009: 2.73 ERA, 42 saves in 74.1 IP

Clippard, age 26, 9th round pick 2003 (Yankees): 1.85 ERA in 87.1 IP

Rodriguez, age 24, amateur free agent 2003 (Oakland): 3.56 ERA in 65.2 IP

Notice I haven't even mentioned Mr. Strasburg, or Brad Peacock, who is 23, had a 2.39 ERA in AA/AAA this year, and an 0.75 ERA in two recent starts for the Nats. He was selected in the 41st round of the 2006 draft! Or Tom Milone, who is 24, had a 3.22 ERA in AAA, and has a 3.81 ERA in 5 starts this month.

I realize that it is easier to put up good numbers in the NL East than the AL East, but it seems to me that the Nats have eaten our lunch when it comes to developing their pitching talent. They are going to be a team to be reckoned with.

Notice I haven't even mentioned Mr. Strasburg, or Brad Peacock, who is 23, had a 2.39 ERA in AA/AAA this year, and an 0.75 ERA in two recent starts for the Nats. He was selected in the 41st round of the 2006 draft! Or Tom Milone, who is 24, had a 3.22 ERA in AAA, and has a 3.81 ERA in 5 starts this month.

I realize that it is easier to put up good numbers in the NL East than the AL East, but it seems to me that the Nats have eaten our lunch when it comes to developing their pitching talent. They are going to be a team to be reckoned with.

They made a commitment to bring in as many power/young arms as they could. We made a commitment to select the player that was cheaper/easiest to sign. They have young guys in Clippard and Storen closing out games, we have had Gonzo and Gregg. World of difference across the beltway.

They made a commitment to bring in as many power/young arms as they could. We made a commitment to select the player that was cheaper/easiest to sign. They have young guys in Clippard and Storen closing out games, we have had Gonzo and Gregg. World of difference across the beltway.

To quote BTerp, they're "probably" in a better position than the Orioles. :laughlol:

Just being in a division other than the AL East is a better position than the Orioles. And then all that stuff Frobby mentioned.

Lots of upside there. Lots. And it's started to shine this year for prolonged periods....not just a month or two.

Frobby, whats the temperature where you live? Have you seen the shift from O's to Nats at all? What's it like in the DC suburbs of MD?

Lots of upside there. Lots. And it's started to shine this year for prolonged periods....not just a month or two.

Frobby, whats the temperature where you live? Have you seen the shift from O's to Nats at all? What's it like in the DC suburbs of MD?

Well I'm not Frobby but I have colleagues and we have offices in NOVA, Maryland and DC and the mood has changed among the hoity-toity crowd. The guys that used to show up in the 3rd inning at OPACY in business casual now do that at the Nats games. The people I know who have been O's fans are still O's fans but the general people we encounter aren't paying much attention to the Orioles or the Nats. When something big or something Stasburg related happens with the Nats they know it, but I don't think they could tell you how close they are to .500. The Nats aren't exactly selling out either. My colleagues in DC couldn't care less about the Orioles but go to a few Nats games (again outside of longtime Baltimore fans), same in NOVA.

I would love (and be happy) if Frobby has a different response.

Yes...and I don't expect them to be much better next year. Strasburg is only one piece. Unless they add something significant through free agency, they won't be in the race come August.

And this is probably correct, however, what I have been saying (and others) is that the Nats are way closer to contention that Baltimore. If I HAD to bet my house on one of the two teams making the playoffs I would have to pick Washington. It will be tough to compete in that division, but they are more likely to perform better than Baltimore. They are also truly a few pieces a way from a big run,, where as we are half a team or more away from a run.

And this is probably correct, however, what I have been saying (and others) is that the Nats are way closer to contention that Baltimore. If I HAD to bet my house on one of the two teams making the playoffs I would have to pick Washington. It will be tough to compete in that division, but they are more likely to perform better than Baltimore. They are also truly a few pieces a way from a big run,, where as we are half a team or more away from a run.

So we're all on the same page then? Ok. :thumbsup1:

Most people who were going to shift allegiances, did so right away when the Nats moved here. I don't sense that there are a lot of people who have stuck with the Orioles over the last several years, who are now jumping ship because the Nats are looking better. But check again if the Nats are actually in the race at mid-season next year. Being .500ish hasn't really inspired anyone. The Nats' attendance was up about 112,000 over last year, which isn't much considering how much better the team is. The Orioles are going to end the year slightly up in attendance also (they are 30,000 below last year with 2 games vs. Boston remaining that should draw pretty well).

Personally, I don't feel that Nats/Orioles attendance or fan-ship is a zero sum game. The two teams each drew over 2.5 mm in 2005, both are drawing under 2 million now. The O's loss of fans over the last 6 years is due to continued losing, not competition from the Nats.

The fact that the Nationals are one of the most boring franchises in MLB has probably done a lot to keep the Orioles fanbase where it is. I mean, come on, Ryan Zimmerman is the face of your franchise, and he isn't exactly Mr. Excitement. I think he may be missing some facial muscles.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QSPrq2cCWTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archived