Why I Hate The BCS Even More Tonight

BaltimoreTerp

What shocks me more about Calhoun's poll is that he had Boise State at #10. You'd think he be trying to improve the ranking of his conference-mate' date=' so they'd have a better shot at a BCS bowl (which they didn't get) and Air Force gets a piece of the money. I don't mean to limit these kinds of voting irregularities to just Saban, by any means. I'm sure every coach that votes has cast a ballot based on some sort of self-interest or another.[/quote']

It really didn't matter where Boise State finished. The BCS (and all other bowls) choose their participants based on the money and publicity the teams will bring in. I've seen Penn State get better bowls than they've earned in the past because of our large fanbase, and obviously this year they got knocked down because of all the scrutiny. It is what it is in that respect.

Personally...I want to see an 8 team playoff. ACC, PAC-12, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, and Big East champions all get a spot (as long as they finish in the top 15 of the BCS standings). All non-BCS teams that finish in the top 8 get a spot as well. After that, you fill in with the highest ranked teams. Once you have your participants, you make the match-ups based on the BCS rankings. So the reseeded match-ups would be:

8 Clemson vs 1 LSU

5 Oregon vs 4 Stanford

7 Wisconsin vs 2 Alabama

6 Boise State vs 3 Oklahoma State

The only problem I see with it is that Stanford gets to host the first playoff game, though I suppose they could all be played on neutral fields. Personally...I would love to see that, though I know 16 game seasons are a lot for students.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It really didn't matter where Boise State finished. The BCS (and all other bowls) choose their participants based on the money and publicity the teams will bring in. I've seen Penn State get better bowls than they've earned in the past because of our large fanbase, and obviously this year they got knocked down because of all the scrutiny. It is what it is in that respect.

Personally...I want to see an 8 team playoff. ACC, PAC-12, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, and Big East champions all get a spot (as long as they finish in the top 15 of the BCS standings). All non-BCS teams that finish in the top 8 get a spot as well. After that, you fill in with the highest ranked teams. Once you have your participants, you make the match-ups based on the BCS rankings. So the reseeded match-ups would be:

8 Clemson vs 1 LSU

5 Oregon vs 4 Stanford

7 Wisconsin vs 2 Alabama

6 Boise State vs 3 Oklahoma State

The only problem I see with it is that Stanford gets to host the first playoff game, though I suppose they could all be played on neutral fields. Personally...I would love to see that, though I know 16 game seasons are a lot for students.

Who does the rankings?

I think I mentioned it, though it might not have been clear. They would still be using the BCS rankings. If you can't make it into the top 8 teams, though, you have no right to complain, so I don't think it would be a problem.

I have no argument there. The more important question (to the schools/conferences, not us necessarily) is how is the money divided? Since you don't have guaranteed AQ's anymore (for not finishing at least 15th) would the Big East, for example, come away empty this season, since it's highest team is only 23rd and wouldn't be eligible?

I have no argument there. The more important question (to the schools/conferences' date=' not us necessarily) is how is the money divided? Since you don't have guaranteed AQ's anymore (for not finishing at least 15th) would the Big East, for example, come away empty this season, since it's highest team is only 23rd and wouldn't be eligible?[/quote']

Really...I have no idea. I was hoping they could figure that out for me. I just want to watch some good football. :D

The whole college football system is stupid. Every year, a majority of the teams eligible to compete for a national championship have zero chance of playing for it, even if they win every game on their schedule. That's the fact of the system, and it's wrong.

I'd have a 16-team playoff with each conference winner getting an automatic bid, much like the basketball system. Then have at-large teams to fill out the brackets. Whoever hoists the trophy at the end has the absolute right to say they're the best team in the country. Throw the bowls into the dust bin of history.

But it'll never happen.

A team who didn't even win there conference is playing for the national title. I'm big Bama fan, but they had there chance at home. OK state has earned there shot at the title. LSU vs Bama rematch means higher T.V. rating and more money.

A team who didn't even win there conference is playing for the national title. I'm big Bama fan, but they had there chance at home. OK state has earned there shot at the title. LSU vs Bama rematch means higher T.V. rating and more money.

Exactly, they had their chance at home. We've already seen that game and it was boring. Who really cares?

OK State should be in the game. Yeah they lost a game but the circumstances need to be considered. They had some coaches from their school killed in a plane crash. Even though they weren't football coaches it had to have an effect. No way it wouldn't.

I'm thinking of not watching the game just because I don't want to contribute to the ratings. Tired of the BCS.

Exactly, they had their chance at home. We've already seen that game and it was boring. Who really cares?

OK State should be in the game. Yeah they lost a game but the circumstances need to be considered. They had some coaches from their school killed in a plane crash. Even though they weren't football coaches it had to have an effect. No way it wouldn't.

I'm thinking of not watching the game just because I don't want to contribute to the ratings. Tired of the BCS.

While I'm sure that was tough, I don't really like using that argument. Tuscaloosa had tornadoes devastate that town before the season. They had plenty of heavy hearts and distractions due to that tragedy that I'm sure pervaded throughout the whole season. So they could make similar claim to the one you proposed here. There's plenty of reasons to argue for Oklahoma St and against Bama, but I don't think that's one of them.

The whole college football system is stupid. Every year, a majority of the teams eligible to compete for a national championship have zero chance of playing for it, even if they win every game on their schedule. That's the fact of the system, and it's wrong.

I'd have a 16-team playoff with each conference winner getting an automatic bid, much like the basketball system. Then have at-large teams to fill out the brackets. Whoever hoists the trophy at the end has the absolute right to say they're the best team in the country. Throw the bowls into the dust bin of history.

But it'll never happen.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person that sees the sense in the 16-team playoff. Glad I'm not.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person that sees the sense in the 16-team playoff. Glad I'm not.

Honestly...an 8 team playoff may be too many games for the players, let alone a 16 team playoff. I just don't see it happening unless they scale back the regular season, which I also can't imagine.

I'm out. The whole system is the problem. A new system shouldn't keep the rotten foundations of the old one.

One way or another, there is going to have to be a system. The BCS is about as good system as we're going to get. Really...the system isn't the problem...it's the way they're using it.

Honestly...an 8 team playoff may be too many games for the players, let alone a 16 team playoff. I just don't see it happening unless they scale back the regular season, which I also can't imagine.

Why can I-AA do it? They play twelve-game seasons, and with a 20-team playoff a team might play seventeen games in an entire season. But only two teams can play that many.

One way or another, there is going to have to be a system. The BCS is about as good system as we're going to get. Really...the system isn't the problem...it's the way they're using it.

No, the whole system is the problem. Even if you institute a multi-round playoff, basing it on a miasma of the interns who actually vote in the coaches' poll, the unknowns in the Harris poll, and the flawed and proprietary computer formulas is still a recipe for failure.

Why can I-AA do it? They play twelve-game seasons, and with a 20-team playoff a team might play seventeen games in an entire season. But only two teams can play that many.

No, the whole system is the problem. Even if you institute a multi-round playoff, basing it on a miasma of the interns who actually vote in the coaches' poll, the unknowns in the Harris poll, and the flawed and proprietary computer formulas is still a recipe for failure.

1-AA plays 11-game regular seasons. But your point is still valid. I'd have a committee select the at-large teams for a playoff, just like March Madness.

Archived