Why I Hate The BCS Even More Tonight

BaltimoreTerp

1-AA plays 11-game regular seasons. But your point is still valid. I'd have a committee select the at-large teams for a playoff' date=' just like March Madness.[/quote']

Sorry, I guess the standings I looked at included playoff games.

Still, only two teams would play the max number of games, and most would still only play regular-season and (maybe) a bowl game.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I'm sure that was tough, I don't really like using that argument. Tuscaloosa had tornadoes devastate that town before the season. They had plenty of heavy hearts and distractions due to that tragedy that I'm sure pervaded throughout the whole season. So they could make similar claim to the one you proposed here. There's plenty of reasons to argue for Oklahoma St and against Bama, but I don't think that's one of them.

I agree with you. Its not enough on its own to sway anything. However, when I consider all the other factors including it in the mix doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

The biggest factor for me is that Alabama had LSU at their place and couldn't beat them. Now, if Bama wins the BCS Title Game they are the Champs? If LSU wins nobody can argue against the legitimacy of their being crowned #1. If Bama wins you will have the questions about the legitimacy of them being named champs. SOS. Bama should NOT be in the game IMO.

The system is broke. The system is a joke. Therefore, do what is done at the other levels of college football, and have a playoff. I concur with an eight-team format of some sort, and expect it to happen eventually. It's the "eventually" that stinks. They may go to a +1 system first. Ughhh.

So you've never had complaints about the tourneys selection process?

That's like saying, "I don't like some of the outcomes of the presidential election system in America, so we should go with an absolute monarchy."

All systems will have some flaws. Better systems will

1) have fewer flaws and

2) make it easier to accept those flaws.

That's like saying, "I don't like some of the outcomes of the presidential election system in America, so we should go with an absolute monarchy."

All systems will have some flaws. Better systems will

1) have fewer flaws and

2) make it easier to accept those flaws.

Exactly right. There's always going to be some complaining about who didn't make the cut (like in basketball). But complaining about some bubble teams not making a tournament that crowns a champion based on competition is a lot different than complaining about a system that has ESPN and coaches arbitrarily choosing two teams that they think are the best to face off for a mythical national championship. FBS football is the only sport that has no clear path to the championship. It has a system that has had the SEC and Big 12 participate in 9 and 7 of the 13 BSC Championship Games. Add two more SEC teams for the 14th installment. I refuse to agree with a system that basically says if you're not in those two AQ conferences, that you have no realistic shot at the title.

I will keep beating my drum!! A 24 team playoff would be the biggest sports event in america. I honestly believe it would rival the Superbowl. This year worked out perfect to expose the lie of the BCS. Championship week meant basically nothing.

BTW I love that it's not OK for Alabama to have another shot at LSU (who they lost to by 3 points) but people would be fine if OK State was in the game who only lost a game they were favored by 4 touchdowns to win.

Haven't read this whole thread so not sure if this was said or not...

OK St only lost was to Iowa St and it was a day or few days after the women's bball coaches died in a plane crash. There is a very good possibility that they were not completely focused with everything going on at/around campus (both players and coaching staff).

Should have been LSU-OK St in the national championship game. Bama lost AT HOME to LSU. It was a great game but both teams were playing extremely conservatively because they knew the team that made the most mistakes would lose and that would more than likely prevent them from playing for the national championship. In the end the SEC money powers made sure it was going to be LSU-BAMA.... For god sakes Saban voted OK St #4 on his coaches ballot and a couple others did the same. If Saban puts Ok St #3 they might have had the points in the poll to overtake Bama and then the BCS rankings probably have OK St as #2 and playing for the title.

BTW I love that it's not OK for Alabama to have another shot at LSU (who they lost to by 3 points) but people would be fine if OK State was in the game who only lost a game they were favored by 4 touchdowns to win.

I really see no point in using betting lines as an argument here, but if that's how you want it, OSU was 9-3 vs the spread this season. Alabama was 8-4.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/against-the-spread/

The system is broke. The system is a joke. Therefore, do what is done at the other levels of college football, and have a playoff. I concur with an eight-team format of some sort, and expect it to happen eventually. It's the "eventually" that stinks. They may go to a +1 system first. Ughhh.

+1 is still a heck of a lot better than the current system. Not as good as 8 teams, but better than this.

Archived