Why I Hate The BCS Even More Tonight

BaltimoreTerp

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary Danielson had an interesting proposal for a 6 team playoff. It would feature the Top 6 teams in the final rankings, with the #1 and #2 seeds getting a bye. The stipulation would be that you have to be a conference champion to get a bye. So this year a playoff would look like this.

1st Round (I'd prefer to shuffle the pairings for this one though, since both games are rematches)

#3 Alabama vs #6 Arkansas

#4 Stanford vs #5 Oregon

Semi-Final

#1 LSU vs #4/#5 winner

#2 OSU vs #3/#6 winner

Final

Semi-Final Winners

BTW, how about USC finishing the regular season 5th in the AP? :)

They were playing as well as anyone at the end of the season. If there were a playoff, I wouldn't bet against them. It has to be killing them that they didn't self-impose a bowl ban in 2009, when they only finished 8-4 and played in the Emerald Bowl. Perhaps they would have been post-season eligible this year if they did, and we'd have been treated to a USC-Oregon rematch last Friday. Mike Garrett, Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush probably don't have too many friends right now in the Land of Troy.

Gary Danielson had an interesting proposal for a 6 team playoff. It would feature the Top 6 teams in the final rankings' date=' with the #1 and #2 seeds getting a bye. The stipulation would be that you have to be a conference champion to get a bye. So this year a playoff would look like this.

[u']1st Round[/u] (I'd prefer to shuffle the pairings for this one though, since both games are rematches)

#4 Stanford vs #5 Oregon

Semi-Final

#1 LSU vs #3/#6 winner

#2 OSU vs #4/#5 winner

Final

Semi-Final Winners

That would be a great solution as well.

Gary Danielson had an interesting proposal for a 6 team playoff. It would feature the Top 6 teams in the final rankings' date=' with the #1 and #2 seeds getting a bye. The stipulation would be that you have to be a conference champion to get a bye. So this year a playoff would look like this.

[u']1st Round[/u] (I'd prefer to shuffle the pairings for this one though, since both games are rematches)

#4 Stanford vs #5 Oregon

Semi-Final

#1 LSU vs #3/#6 winner

#2 OSU vs #4/#5 winner

Final

Semi-Final Winners

I've been an advocate for a 6 team playoff for quite some time.

Did you mix up the semi-final matches? #1 should play the #4/#5 winner.

They were playing as well as anyone at the end of the season. If there were a playoff' date=' I wouldn't bet against them. It has to be killing them that they didn't self-impose a bowl ban in 2009, when they only finished 8-4 and played in the Emerald Bowl. Perhaps they would have been post-season eligible this year if they did, and we'd have been treated to a USC-Oregon rematch last Friday. Mike Garrett, Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush probably don't have too many friends right now in the Land of Troy.[/quote']

Maybe the refs helped them by screwing them over in the OT of the Stanford game by spotting the ball 8 yards in Stanford's favor after a penalty against them. And by not granting them the TO at the end of regulation.

I say that because if they had won that game, there would be a decent chance (if they beat Oregon again) that they would have been playing in the title game if eligible.

AND three Harris poll voters had OSU 6th! 15 votes had them 4th or lower!

Yet this is what we're allowing to determine our champions. Amazing.

I'm guessing those 3 voters had some some ties to Alabama, or at the very least the SEC. That's absurd.

Concerning Saban's vote, I've never been much of a fan of the coaches poll.

I say that because if they had won that game, there would be a decent chance (if they beat Oregon again) that they would have been playing in the title game if eligible.

Nah, then all the Alabama people would just be saying they should have "taken care of business" when they played at Arizona State, who finished the season unranked. ;)

Archived