O's would "do anything" to trade Reynolds and Gregg

BillySmith

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fallacy here is that there are many other ways that a run doesn't score: a ground ball right at a corner infielder, a ball hit to the pitcher, a ball hit to 2B/SS with the infield in, a pop fly, a liner to an infielder, a fly ball that isn't deep enough. The overall success rate with a runner on 3B and less than 2 out is slightly over 50%, and that includes the hits.

I do agree, however, that the number sounds low. Reynolds batted 31 times last year with a runner on 3B and less than 2 out. That's about 5% of his PA. He walked in 8 of them, so take those out of the equation. 11 of the 23 scored, 6 on hits, 5 on "productive outs." He struck out 12 times with a runner on 3B and less than two out -- a very high percentage of strikeouts even by his standards. He definitely cost the team more than 1-2 runs here. Probably more like 5-6.

Uh...it looks to me like he cost us about 1 or 2 runs.

It's also third hand info. Also, while an easy leap to make, going from "do anything" to "give away" is still a leap.

Yeah you are right. Giving away means just giving the team reynolds for nothing. Do anything sounds like get nothing in return and paying the team that takes him 3 million dollars.

Yeah you are right. Giving away means just giving the team reynolds for nothing. Do anything sounds like get nothing in return and paying the team that takes him 3 million dollars.

Is this what you meant to say?

Yeah, you are right. "Giving away" means just giving the team Reynolds for nothing. "Do anything" sounds like they would pay $3 million dollars to the team that takes him without getting anything in return.

Not sure how you're comparing putting the ball in play or not with "the kid has an ugly girlfriend." And I'm not saying Reynolds k's are killing the team either. I just feel that all outs are not created equal. Even in this link that was provided, it says on "average" an out is an out but that sometimes outs are not equal... And I agree with Bradysburns that its the ability to situational hit in those few amount of crunchtime situations that separates great teams from good ones.

Simply put, I'd rather a guy strike out than hit a ground ball with a guy at first and one out and I'd rather a guy put the ball in play with a man in scoring position with less than two outs. I don't know how you can argue with that.

And the statistical likelihood of this really is a moot point in my book, because failing once at something so fundamental in baseball is just inexcusable for a professional baseball player. You're paid over a million dollars to play a game right and you can't hit a fair ball with one out and a guy on third?... I mean soccer players in some countries have been killed for that level of ineptitude...

Back to the point though... Reynolds is an average player. His power is above average, but the rest of his skillset brings him down - especially his defense with out young staff... I agree that he works the count well and I think he deserves a space on the team, plus he's untradeable at this point, but lets not get carried away with our man crush...

I'm not comparing "put the ball in play" with "the kid has an ugly girlfriend." I'm comparing "I know more because I played the game" or "that may be what the stats say but I watch the games and see something different" to the "kid has an ugly girlfriend".

I don't think we disagree that much. My main points are that strikeouts are over emphasized, Reynolds brings value to the club with the things he does well, it's too early in the season to freak out and try and give him away for anything.

His defense leaves something to be desired but part of that is on Showalter for putting him there. If Buck really didn't think he could do it, he wouldn't be there. Whatever.

I think your point about a professional failing at something fundamental being deplorable and murder-worthy is a little dramatic. I know you don't actually think it's murder worthy but you brought it up. Soccer is also very different than baseball as you know. Great hitters fail more than 50% of the time. The game is a marathon, not a sprint. People who have been playing long enough usually end the season around their career averages. I have no reason to think this won't happen for Reynolds this year.

Also I don't think I was the one who posted that link. I could be wrong though.

There is a lot of intesting infromation in this thread. Generally speaking, the Orioles were desperate for his power when they made the trade. They made the deal after using a fading Miguel Tejada at third for maost of the 2010 season. Further, Wigginton led the Orioles in home runs that year with 22. Because of his approach, Reynolds will never be a great situational hitter. However, he provided the power that the Orioles coveted so badly last year despite the k's. Hopefully, he can produce in a similar manner this season. I have serious concerns about his D, but it's too early to do anything to get rid of Reynolds. Gregg, however, is a different story. I'm sure the Orioles would do anything to move hiim.

Archived