R. A. Dickey's Angry Knuckleball

Can_of_corn

I almost necroed my thread from last week but decided a new title might mean more eyes.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/6/24/3112079/ra-dickey-knuckleball-fast-power-mets

According to ESPN.com's Mark Simon, in Dickey's second one-hitter last week, he "threw 35 knuckleballs at 80 mph or faster, the third straight start in which he's thrown at least 30 knuckleballs at that speed. Before those three starts, his previous high in a start was 17 such pitches."

And those fast knuckleballs might be among the most effective pitches ever thrown, period.

"I call it a power knuckleball," Candiotti says. "It doesn't dance all over the place. But it's got one hard movement."

Which is plenty. As Bouton notes, "If you're throwing it 80 miles an hour, it only needs to break two inches."

Is he also the last, though? It's not like guys with R.A. Dickey's talents are all over the place, who just need a nudge in the right direction. Remember, Dickey was a first-round draft choice. Even at 37, Dickey can muscle up and throw a baseball 85 miles an hour, probably more if he wanted to work more on his fastball. He's not just some guy out there.

You can still color me a skeptic that someone with an 85 mph FB can throw an 80 MPH Knuckler.

I almost necroed my thread from last week but decided a new title might mean more eyes.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/6/24/3112079/ra-dickey-knuckleball-fast-power-mets

You can still color me a skeptic that someone with an 85 mph FB can throw an 80 MPH Knuckler.

You think it's something else and not a knuckler? Pretty amazing because that added velcoity appears to be giving him pinpoint command. Not only location but allowing the ball to take certain actions.

I would love for someone to show me that a pitcher can throw a ball with a knuckleball grip 5 MPH slower then their fastball 30+ times a game.

That does not seem possible to a layman such as myself.

I think a more likely occurrence is that he is doctoring the ball.

I could easily be completely wrong as I do not pretend to have any expertise in the area.

Archived