Buffalo Built It, but the Major Leagues Never Came

OFFNY

o

In 1988, I remember reading an article in USA Today about the AAA-Buffalo Bisons' brand new stadium, and how it was designed in many ways to be suitable for a Major League team. In fact, that was Buffalo's plan all along.

That season, the first-ever AAA All-Star Game took place at Pilot Field (the name of the stadium at that time.) The Bisons regularly drew over a million each season (even more impressive when taking into consideration that AAA-baseball has only a 142-144 game schedule, unlike the Major Leagues' 162-game schedule), and were seemingly on their way to being awarded a Major League franchise.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/10/magazine/l-rich-makes-his-pitch-423889.html

But it never happened ........ Denver and Miami were awarded expansion franchises in 1991, the Rockies and the Marlins began play in 1993, and to this day the Buffalo Bisons remain a AAA team.

Tonight, Buffalo hosts the 25th AAA All-Star Game, beginning at 7 PM. The Major League dreams have died, but the love of baseball is still there. I hope they have a great game, and a great time.

They Built It, But the MLB Never Came

(By Mark Byrnes)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-07-10/they-built-it-but-the-mlb-never-came

o

• Upvote 3

Just curious but I wonder if the proximity to Toronto was ever considered as to why they were never seriously considered?

With the city always seeming to be in danger of losing the Bills, I also wonder if the city could support a third pro team.

They are the 47th biggest metro area in the country, so my gut tells me no.

Just curious but I wonder if the proximity to Toronto was ever considered as to why they were never seriously considered?

I don't know but I'm sure it was a huge part of it. I'm sure we would have received a National League team.

With the city always seeming to be in danger of losing the Bills, I also wonder if the city could support a third pro team.

They are the 47th biggest metro area in the country, so my gut tells me no.

Yup that seems about right as far as the metro area goes. We're still struggling to get back all those people that fled to the burbs. It's slowly happening though, and it's great to see. What people don't realize is the population around the city and WNY is pretty good. We do a great job of supporting the 2 teams we do have imo. For a smaller city we've sold out the majority of Bills games even though they haven't made the playoffs since 1999. How many other cities do that for perennial losers? It's utterly painful thinking they could be taken away.

I really don't know if we could support an MLB team or not. However every time I see a Rays crowd I KNOW we could do better than that. I know a ton of die-hard baseball fans but everyone including me has their own team. Mostly the MFY's, Sux, Mets, Indians, Blue Jays, and believe it or not your occasional Orioles fan. I would never change my allegiance. Others might. I don't know what I would tell my future kids. I'd probably encourage them to follow the home team.

Go Bills. :D

jofalfa said:
I don't know but I'm sure it was a huge part of it. I'm sure we would have received a National League team.

Yup that seems about right as far as the metro area goes. We're still struggling to get back all those people that fled to the burbs. It's slowly happening though, and it's great to see. What people don't realize is the population around the city and WNY is pretty good. We do a great job of supporting the 2 teams we do have imo. For a smaller city we've sold out the majority of Bills games even though they haven't made the playoffs since 1999. How many other cities do that for perennial losers? It's utterly painful thinking they could be taken away.

I really don't know if we could support an MLB team or not. However every time I see a Rays crowd I KNOW we could do better than that. I know a ton of die-hard baseball fans but everyone including me has their own team. Mostly the MFY's, Sux, Mets, Indians, Blue Jays, and believe it or not your occasional Orioles fan. I would never change my allegiance. Others might. I don't know what I would tell my future kids. I'd probably encourage them to follow the home team.

Go, Bills.  :D

O

Scroll down to just above the 2 basketball cards to here the McAdoo song. Randy Smith is the lead vocalist.

http://blog.buffalostories.com/remembering-memorial-auditorium-and-the-nba-buffalo-braves-randy-smith-sings-the-the-bob-mcadoo-song/

O

Who's gonna dribble that ball down the court ??? McAdoo, McAdoo, Mcadoo.

Who's gonna make that bounce pass score ??? McAdoo, McAdoo, Mcadoo.

Who's gonna steal that ball on you ??? McAdoo, McAdoo, McAdoo.

Who's gonna snag that rebound, too ??? McAdoo, McAdoo, Mcadoo.

Big Mac ...... Big Mac ...... Big Mac.

What's that team that you ain't got ??? McAdoo, McAdoo, Mcadoo.

Who's the guy that's gonna block that shot ??? McAdoo, McAdoo, Mcadoo.

Who's the best scorer in the whole league ??? McAdoo, McAdoo, McAdoo.

Who's the best center that you ever did see ??? McAdoo, McAdoo, McAdoo.

Big Mac ...... Big Mac ...... Big Mac.

O

• Thanks 1

Maybe the fact that they were in New York, and the Northeast is considered a very popular baseball area had to do with why a smallish town like Buffalo would be in the running for a baseball team. Would make sense to me. Although, I'd rather them be putting teams in North Jersey, Brooklyn, Connecticut, make the Yankees share a stadium for a new team, etc.

On 7/11/2012 at 10:09 AM, OFFNY said:

o

In 1988, I remember reading an article in USA Today about the AAA-Buffalo Bisons' brand new stadium, and how it was designed in many ways to be suitable for a Major League team. In fact, that was Buffalo's plan all along.

That season, the first-ever AAA All-Star Game took place at Pilot Field (the name of the stadium at that time.) The Bisons regularly drew over a million each season (even more impressive when taking into consideration that AAA-baseball has only a 142-144 game schedule, unlike the Major Leagues' 162-game schedule), and were seemingly on their way to being awarded a Major League franchise.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/30/magazine/rich-makes-his-pitch.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

But it never happened. Denver and Miami were awarded expansion franchises in 1991, the Rockies and the Marlins began play in 1993, and to this day the Buffalo Bisons remain a AAA team.

Tonight, Buffalo hosts the 25th AAA All-Star Game, beginning at 7 PM. The Major League dreams have died, but the love of baseball is still there. I hope they have a great game, and a great time.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2012/07/they-built-it-mlb-never-came/2509/

o

o

Covington, KY had somewhat of a similar story, although they did have a Major League team (Federal League) for one year in 1913.

Professional Baseball in Covington: They Built it, but They did not Come

(Kenton County Public Library)

https://kentonlibrary.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/professional-baseball-in-covington-they-built-it-but-they-did-not-come/

o

On 7/9/2017 at 6:19 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Covington, KY had somewhat of a similar story, although they did have a Major League team (Federal League) for one year in 1913.

Professional Baseball in Covington: They Built it, but They did not Come

(Kenton County Public Library)

https://kentonlibrary.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/professional-baseball-in-covington-they-built-it-but-they-did-not-come/

That would probably make Covington and Cincinnati the geographically closest MLB teams if it had happened. The Great American Ballpark is a ten minute WALK from Covington. 

I live in Buffalo. No way we could support an MLB team IMO. The weather is not great for it- April Bisons games often see crowds in the hundreds. We are very loyal to the Bills and Sabres, but the Bills only have 8 home games a year and the Sabres arena only holds 18k. Plus, as Jofalfa said, too many very loyal Yankee fans here already. Most O's fans from WNY- including Jofalfa and myself- stem from the Rochester days. 

Ironically, the ballpark here in Buffalo was kind of hurt by MLB aspirations. You can tell it was built to be able to add an upper deck, and the overall design is boring because of it. It was also built pre-Camden retro style and it shows. Compare this with, say, Rochester that has a lovely small scale, AAA-from-the-start park. 

o

One thing to add on to The Natural link- Roy's Hospital, aka the Buffalo Psych Center, has been remodeled and opened as an upscale hotel. Despite its dubious past usage, it is a classic piece of architecture built by HH Richardson. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2012 at 10:09 AM, OFFNY said:

o

o

o

I actually found the USA Today newspaper article that I saw in April of 1988, when I was a bank teller here in Brewster, NY !!! ) O.o 

Scroll to 24 seconds through 37 seconds of this video.

o

44 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

They said it would take a week for new lights in Buffalo.  I wonder if there are any AAA parks that the MLB players do find acceptable?  

Heck there are still a couple of old junk big league stadiums that the players do not find acceptable, and must play at.

And I am not even talking about the Jays home court, of outdoor carpeting over concrete piece of dog poop.

• Haha 1