Dodgers have acquired Hanley Ramirez

Greg

Tim Brown ‏@TBrownYahoo

Source: Dodgers have acquired Hanley Ramirez and Choate from Marlins for Eovaldi and a minor leaguer. Game changes in LA. Marlins selling.

I for one am celebrating we did not get him .....

What a steal for the Dodgers.

I imagine the Dodgers are picking up his salary which would make him dirt cheap in terms of prospects. Good deal for both teams if Ramirez can straighten out his act. Big IF though

Me too. The LAD's arer going to be sorry IMO.

I tend to agree with you but since they got money to throw around and gave up very little in terms of talent, its not that bad a deal on their part. They can afford to eat it if he does not work out.

Still, with his bad tude' and his faulty defense, a gig upgrade for the Dodgers and would have been a big lift OFFENSIVELY only for the

Orioles. I dont think Buck wanted any part of him on his club.

Completely agree not a Buck type of nugget wouldn't be surprised at all if him and Duquette talked and Buck said no thanks.

Some of you are nuts. I'd take him all day long at 3b over what we currently have on this team. He'd tear Camden Yards up. Or at the very least, his stats would improve with a move to more hitter friendly venues than what you find in the NL East.

Then when you look at the fact that we was given away for very little and you look at A. our gaping hole at 3b and B. our horrible offense, you start to wonder what in the heck Duquette is doing.

Oh right, trading for Omar Quintanilla and a washed up Jim Thome. Funny that the people who are "glad we didn't sign Hanley" had no problem with signing yet another DH who is past his prime. We've got some real funny fans.

Some of you are nuts. I'd take him all day long at 3b over what we currently have on this team. He'd tear Camden Yards up. Or at the very least' date=' his stats would improve with a move to more hitter friendly venues than what you find in the NL East.

Then when you look at the fact that we was given away for very little and you look at A. our gaping hole at 3b and B. our horrible offense, you start to wonder what in the heck Duquette is doing.

Oh right, trading for Omar Quintanilla and a washed up Jim Thome. Funny that the people who are "glad we didn't sign Hanley" had no problem with signing yet another DH who is past his prime. We've got some real funny fans.[/quote']

I wanted Hanley.

Some of you are nuts. I'd take him all day long at 3b over what we currently have on this team. He'd tear Camden Yards up. Or at the very least' date=' his stats would improve with a move to more hitter friendly venues than what you find in the NL East.

Oh right, trading for Omar Quintanilla and a washed up Jim Thome. Funny that the people who are "glad we didn't sign Hanley" had no problem with signing yet another DH who is past his prime. We've got some real funny fans.[/quote']

First off Ramirez is due like 38.5 million on his deal which I believe the Dodgers are picking up most of. Not sure that taking on that kind of salary for that kind of player is wise. The dude over the past 2yrs has been a sub .250 hitter and is marginally better fielder at best playing 3b. This is not the Hanley Ramirez of 4yrs ago, its a huge gamble to think he will be again. Seems like a waste of resources unless you have the kind of money the Dodgers are throwing around. I would hate to be stuck with Ramirez and not able to sign anyone decent next offseason cause of that salary. If Jim Thome was making 15million and the Orioles had picked that up till 2014 I would not have been ok with that either. Thome is not financially expensive and not signed beyond this year. Last but not least why commit to Ramirez through 2014 when you have a top 5 3b prospect. You can get someone far more economical and not to much worse offensively to bridge that gap

First off Ramirez is due like 38.5 million on his deal which I believe the Dodgers are picking up most of. Not sure that taking on that kind of salary for that kind of player is wise. The dude over the past 2yrs has been a sub .250 hitter and is marginally better fielder at best playing 3b. This is not the Hanley Ramirez of 4yrs ago, its a huge gamble to think he will be again. Seems like a waste of resources unless you have the kind of money the Dodgers are throwing around. I would hate to be stuck with Ramirez and not able to sign anyone decent next offseason cause of that salary. If Jim Thome was making 15million and the Orioles had picked that up till 2014 I would not have been ok with that either. Thome is not financially expensive and not signed beyond this year. Last but not least why commit to Ramirez through 2014 when you have a top 5 3b prospect. You can get someone far more economical and not to much worse offensively to bridge that gap

All of this. People are getting caught up on names again. HanRam is a risk a team like the Dodgers can take, especially for the price in prospects they gave up. However, I'm willing to bet heavy that he doesn't come anywhere close to the value of the contract the Dodgers will be paying him over the next few years. The Dodgers are a team that can afford to take that risk though, the O's aren't. Not only that but there has to be a pretty big stink on HanRam to only get what the Marlins got despite the Dodgers eating all of the contract. My guess is there are big concerns around the league about his attitude, his real age, his defense, and his drop in production. Headley makes so much more sense for the Orioles and even if we don't get Headley the money owed to HanRam can be better spent.

All of this. People are getting caught up on names again. HanRam is a risk a team like the Dodgers can take, especially for the price in prospects they gave up. However, I'm willing to bet heavy that he doesn't come anywhere close to the value of the contract the Dodgers will be paying him over the next few years. The Dodgers are a team that can afford to take that risk though, the O's aren't. Not only that but there has to be a pretty big stink on HanRam to only get what the Marlins got despite the Dodgers eating all of the contract. My guess is there are big concerns around the league about his attitude, his real age, his defense, and his drop in production. Headley makes so much more sense for the Orioles and even if we don't get Headley the money owed to HanRam can be better spent.

:agree:

Though I think overpaying for Headley when you have Machado waiting in the wings is a mistake also. Would rather trade for a SP who they can control beyond this year, an OF or a long term solution at 2B. If you do not believe Machado is the solution at 3rd in the next few years then they should be trading him, obviously they feel he is (with good reason) and thus the amount of talent it would take to get Headley (who is in strong demand) is just better spent elsewhere.

The reward for a player like Hanley could be huge and the risk was pretty much just money. If the Orioles can not recruit premium players and have to keep picking through the leftovers than missing these type of opportunities will hurt this team moving forward IMO. It just seems like we wait and wait for prospects to pan out and if they do not, what happens then? The Marlins pretty much gave him away and he wouldn't have been a fit at third for this team?

Archived