Angels trade Haren to Cubbies for Mormol. (Update: Nope.)

OrangeJerseys

I don't get this deal at all from the Angels perspective. An expensive Mormol was the best they could get back? Even an average-to-sub-par MLB reliever making only 1-2$M would have been a better haul than Marmol. Heck simply buying out Haren's option would have made more sense, no?

I'd have to think that a deal with Greinke is very close. If it's not and he walks, that could seriously leave the Angels in a bad place pitching-wise.

Good point, they could be in some pain if they don't sign Greinke.

I know some people were pushing Haren, but a look at the big drop in velocity is enough for me to say no.

MLB Traderumors

Sigh ... so, apparently, the deal didn't happen and Haren is still an Angel.

- Deal was pending Marmol's approval. (no-trade clause)

- Cubs then pull the deal off of the table

- Marmol says he would have approved the deal.

The Red Sox, who were also looking at trading for Haren today, have also backed off.

Recap:

- Haren still an Angel

- Marmol still a Cub

- Angel's have about 20 min. to decide whether they're picking up Haren's $15+ Mil. option.

I haven't seen much speculation on this, but one has to wonder how tight the Angel's budget has to be for next season. They were willing to take (basically) nothing in return for Santana and even kicked in $1 Mil. to boot. Now, it looks like they were willing to trade Haren in a deal that would have only saved them about $5 -6 Mil.

If they're that desperate to free up money to sign Greinke, can they really do much else this offseason if/when they do?

When does he officially become a FA?

Was comparing Haren and Saunders 2012 #'s. Similar innings pitched. Similar hits surrendered. Similar walk rates. Saunders less HR, but Haren more strikeouts. Both have a trend of a declining fastball. One has a track record of elite pitching... the other a lefty.

Random Guess: Saunders 2yrs/14$M (??) vs Haren 1yr/10$M (??)

Was comparing Haren and Saunders 2012 #'s. Similar innings pitched. Similar hits surrendered. Similar walk rates. Saunders less HR, but Haren more strikeouts. Both have a trend of a declining fastball. One has a track record of elite pitching... the other a lefty.

Random Guess: Saunders 2yrs/14$M (??) vs Haren 1yr/10$M (??)

I'd only go to 2 years on Saunders if he had other clubs offering one year and an option. Just to get him.

He's gotta be hurt or something. Considering the buyout he would have only cost them (marginally) ~$9 million. For a healthy Dan Haren you pay 1/9 every day and twice on Sunday in this market.
15.5-3.5=12. But yeah, he almost has to be injured. His FB would drop as low as 85 near the end of the season.

Angel's decline Haren's option, paying his buyout of $3.5 Mil. He's not a FA.
I'm assuming he became a FA the moment they declined his option, until 'regular' FA's who have to file the paperwork and wait.

I'm assuming that "not" is a typo in your earlier post, and you meant to say "now." I'm also assuming that "until" is a typo in the later post, and you meant to say "unlike."

Correct?

I'm assuming that "not" is a typo in your earlier post, and you meant to say "now." I'm also assuming that "until" is a typo in the later post, and you meant to say "unlike."

Correct?

lol Yes, and Yes.

I've been busy lately. Apparently, also slacking on the proof-reading. I guess that's what I get for relying solely spell check.

Archived