Duquette, "Our best players are going to come up through the farm system."

andrewrickli

Buck Saturday on Wall To Wall Baseball:

"I think our payroll's going to be over $90 (million), maybe more than that. "

It may be $90 million +/- . I was asking about the "money he has available." Let me cut to the chase, the bottom line is Angelos decides how much is available. The fact that we may spend $90M doesn't preclude the fact that we have more money available from MASN and other sources should Angelos decide to use it. The unresolved argument is that we should have more to use than what is being made available. Now if one doesn't want to "spend the time to think about it," then I guess, similarly, it would be a waste of time to discuss free agents or trades since we don't know the parameters that our GM has in terms of his resources. Boy that would cut down a ton of discussion here.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What El Gordo said. Is the player payroll the only thing that has increased since then?

I read earlier in the offseason, that the O's payroll would be around 100M IF they brought back Reynolds, McLouth, and Saunders. That figure included Arb. estimates. They resigned McLouth, but declined to bring back Reynold's and the jury is still out on Saunders. They haven't spent the money they saved on Reynolds. So i'm not sure how your getting a 100M payroll for 2013. Everything I see points to a payroll around 90M. So, the O's are looking at around a 10M increase? That's ironically around the same revenues they took in from Attendance and Playoff games. Where's the MASN money PA promised? I doubt the O's are spending anymore in scouting/development then a team like TB is.

It may be $90 million +/- . I was asking about the "money he has available." Let me cut to the chase, the bottom line is Angelos decides how much is available. The fact that we may spend $90M doesn't preclude the fact that we have more money available from MASN and other sources should Angelos decide to use it. The unresolved argument is that we should have more to use than what is being made available. Now if one doesn't want to "spend the time to think about it," then I guess, similarly, it would be a waste of time to discuss free agents or trades since we don't know the parameters that our GM has in terms of his resources. Boy that would cut down a ton of discussion here.

Fair enough and no disagreement. I read your comment the wrong way.

Payroll isn't the only way to spend money on a club. Anybody know what we spend on scouting, player development, improved technology, and infrastucture? Has in increased under DD?

I believe you can hire and pay for between 5 and 8 area scouts, on average, for $1MM, depending on the size of their region and amount you have them travel. Just info.

• 2 weeks later...
O.K. Cowherd played the bad cop routine. How long before someone (Peter Schmuck, I'm looking at you) rides in and plays the good cop? They often play old school SNL point-counterpoint. Peter, you ignorant slut!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/2306

Don't know how I missed this. Maybe it's because the paper is no longer a daily habit since they went to a paywall. Anyway, ever predictable, as I thought, Peter Schmuck tells us "not to panic"

What El Gordo said. Is the player payroll the only thing that has increased since then?

~d and I used to look at the pages successful teams had regarding staff.

A few years back our Personnel page listed about eight guys. Two Angelos, a Foss, Two Co-Gm's, Two Stockstills and H.Russell Smouse. Look at it now.

Archived