So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it before and I'll say it again... there are lots of reasons to make yourself believe in 2013 BRob, if you want to go there... He had a real off-season, his last injury was the hip and that has been healthy since September, he has been concussion-sympton-free since the beginning of last season, he's in a contract year, he's been awesome before, etc.

There are way more reasons for pessimism, but hey that's not what we're about around here.

I understand the concerns aout Brian's defense, but some posters remind me of Nick Swardson's jaded movie friends. :P

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bV4wh2a1VdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Transformers did suck...

Any sign of power out of Roberts has to at least be encouraging. It was non-existent last year.

I've got another one... Do you know who the four players are to ever have three or more seasons with 50+ doubles? Ever? In MLB history?

Okay, I'll spot you three and you fill in the fourth: Stan Musial, Tris Speaker and Paul Waner (all in the Hall).

I pointed this out the other day that BRob accomplished this and people just "yawned" at the stat.

There are way more reasons for pessimism, but hey that's not what we're about around here.

From what I've read, 95% of this board is pessimistic about BRob. About 75% of this board thinks he's completely done and we'd be better off running out Alexi Casilla out there (that just blows my mind). I'd rather have 75% of the old BRob (yes with the average defense) than 100% of Alexi Casilla, Navarro or Flaherty.

I think the biggest advantage of having him back is that pitchers will have to start thinking again when he's on the basepaths. Let's face it, no one on this team makes pitchers think. Roberts might not be as fast as he used to be, but he's still one of the smartest base runners in the game and makes pitchers nervous - as evidenced by today in the 1st.

Not a great relay throw by BRob but not that bad, either. If you look at Davis' footwork on this play, he didn't really adjust well to the fact that the ball was thrown to the outside of the bag. His foot is nowhere near that side of the bag. This is actually a classic example of how Reynolds would sometimes make a play look harder than it was last year.

His speed tool is probably the one that has declined the most - he hasn't used it much for 3 or 4 years and he's 35. But he's still going to be a heady base runner. The only question that matters is Will He Hit Like BRob. If he does, not much else matters honestly, because not many 2B hit like BRob, and the rest of the infield defense is above average other than the question mark that is Chris Davis. Just get on base and hit doubles and he's instantly like the 2nd or 3rd best hitter on this team.

Insane question: Let's say BRob is raking at the plate but sucking wind at 2nd. Like, badly. Then what? He becomes a reserve infielder, pinch hitter/DH type? I don't think Buck/DD have much patience for defensive gaffs. They can turn games quickly, and this team is build on pitching and defense for the most part.

Just look at what happened when Manny came up last year, and Nate entered left field.

If we can get a .340 OBP and 30 doubles out of Roberts, I would be ecstatic. I think he can do it, but we'll have to see.

As for his defense, I'm more concerned about his range than the mistakes he's made early. Poor throws and fielding errors are more evident of early ST rust than anything.

From what I've read, 95% of this board is pessimistic about BRob. About 75% of this board thinks he's completely done and we'd be better off running out Alexi Casilla out there (that just blows my mind). I'd rather have 75% of the old BRob (yes with the average defense) than 100% of Alexi Casilla, Navarro or Flaherty.

I think the biggest advantage of having him back is that pitchers will have to start thinking again when he's on the basepaths. Let's face it, no one on this team makes pitchers think. Roberts might not be as fast as he used to be, but he's still one of the smartest base runners in the game and makes pitchers nervous - as evidenced by today in the 1st.

What would you define as the old Brob that you'd want 75% of? The 2010 Brob? If so, the 2012 Casilla was better.

We'd all like Brob to be good again, but many of us like look at things realistically. 35 year old middle aged infielders don't age well. We've got way more issues than just that.

I understand the concerns aout Brian's defense, but some posters remind me of Nick Swardson's jaded movie friends. :P

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bV4wh2a1VdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So like, what's the coolest thing about Roberts now - his lack of range or terrible throwing arm or declining speed or lack of power or old age or inability to stay healthy or huge contract or that he's blocking young players or...

What would you define as the old Brob that you'd want 75% of? The 2010 Brob? If so, the 2012 Casilla was better.

We'd all like Brob to be good again, but many of us like look at things realistically. 35 year old middle aged infielders don't age well. We've got way more issues than just that.

You may be looking at things realistically, but some people are just flat out prejudging things. The odds are against BRob but I see no reason to make any proclamations that he's done in late February. He'll get his opportunities and we'll see what happens.

Archived