Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

I'm totally in favor of removing JJ from the closer's role, but I don't understand people criticizing Buck for avoiding the question on everyone's mind. Obviously JJ is struggling and obviously something's got to give, but it doesn't do anyone any good to throw Johnson under the bus. If he makes a change, which he should, it's better to just go ahead and do it. No need to publicly shame the man first.

Amen. Everyone knows the deal. I'm for keeping criticism in the clubhouse.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Scrat1 again.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would prefer Hunter if for no other reason than he won't GIVE it away like JJ has been.

That's how Koji was. He always seemed to give up a fairly high number of solo shots, but he gave so little away otherwise that no one ever cared.

For all you twitter users out there, Jim Johnson is now trending. I'd suggest searching his name and reading the tweets. Good stuff.

Too bad the national media doesn't say anything about it like the Valverde situation, even though Valverde >>> Johnson.

I don't think JJ's issues are being overworked. Most of his blown saves came after he had rest. He can't get the ball down, plain and simple.

I wouldn't say his struggles are because he is overworked but he has the most save situations by a decent margin and the last time I looked the orioles as a team had 7 more save situations than any team and it's probably increased since then.. we are putting a lot of pressure on our bullpen to not only eat innings for our starters but to not blow a lot of close games. Basically JJ flat out not pitching well is a problem in these loses but not the only problem. I don't think finding a new closer is a simple decision because our other arms are already in important roles to get us in a position to even win in the 9th.

Johnson's used to the feeling of losing the game for the team now. 7 times this year already, and twice in the playoffs last year. Hell, he cost the Orioles the ALDS last year. Ever since then he's been a mental midget and folds under pressure. You notice how every time he blows a save the lead off man gets on? He has no balls. As soon as he gets into any trouble, he's done.

Which is why he has 7 losses. He doesn't just blow the save he loses the game. He hasn't been able to recover when the going gets tough. I think that is where he will or has lost the club house.

Well said. He know it right now too (and now so does his batting helmet). I think the inevitable offensive slump is finally upon us.

The whole team is scuffling at the plate now. In the last two weeks, we've seen serious no-hit bits from Justin Masterson, Scott Kazmir and CC Sabathia, and now four straight nights of being dominated by starters with ERAs around 4.00. You can't tell me that it's just a coincidence.

Jones' plate discipline is beyond ridiculous. Any pitcher who gives up a hit after throwing him a pitch in the strike zone should be fined. There is no reason to throw Jones a strike right now.

Yeh, I agree. The only thing Buck can't do is hammer JJ right after the game publicly. It might make fans who need blood feel better, but it only hurts the clubhouse. I think Buck will make a subtle change of some sort, but I admit that I'm not certain of it. He needs to make the change, but he doesn't need to pile on JJ even if he does it professionally. It won't help.

I think the fact that they made final tough calls on Strop and Jake points in the direction of a closer change.

He had some success being in "pull mode" but now all of those bad habits are coming home to roost. I can't stand to watch him bat. Was it his first time up, where he struck out and swing three times with only one pitch being a strike and the other two not even close. I am so ticked off with him that I'm almost rooting against him.

I fast forward through all of his at bats. He is proud to say he won't walk. I'm not saying he is trying to fail but he certainly isn't doing anything to change it.

The whole team is scuffling at the plate now. In the last two weeks, we've seen serious no-hit bits from Justin Masterson, Scott Kazmir and CC Sabathia, and now four straight nights of being dominated by starters with ERAs around 4.00. You can't tell me that it's just a coincidence.

Jones' plate discipline is beyond ridiculous. Any pitcher who gives up a hit after throwing him a pitch in the strike zone should be fined. There is no reason to throw Jones a strike right now.

Yessir. Even in some of the recent wins, they've started out getting shut out for a few innings and then making it happen in the middle to late innings. You can only go to that well so many times.

This is all true...but Johnson could have been staked to a 3 run lead tonight and he would have still lost...its that bad with him

Archived