Kevin Gregg dominating again

Rex Thunder

Has anyone noticed? Inserted as the new Mets closer, and hasn't given up a run yet in 7.1 innings, to go along with 8 strikeouts. ONly given up 3 hits and 3 walks... while racking up 5 saves in 5 chances.

Go figure...

I believe he's pitching with the Cubs, but more importantly...

Again?

I believe he's pitching with the Cubs, but more importantly...

Again?

Ooops, meant the Cubs. Was watching Mets highlights while writing.

Maybe dominating was a tiny stretch- but YES, again. The year before we picked him up he had a 3.51 ERA and had 37 saves. He certainly was an above average reliever at the time.

Relievers are just crazy to predict. I think that was one of the reasons why the Orioles kept him around for so long last year. Gregg's stuff was always pretty good, but he struggled to command it. Perhaps he's on a streak of commanding it for awhile, but I saw enough of him over the last few years to say I wouldn't want to have to trust him late in games.

Got to say I'm happy for Kevin. He handled his situation here in the hightest professional manner. He didn't whine or #$%^ he took it in stride and even mentored a lot of the younger guys.

Glad he is having success!

I would say Gregg was never dominating. He was probably average to above average at various points, but basically not very good. Some not so bright GM's fell in love with save totals one of them paid way too much for him. Unfortunately, he was ours.

Got to say I'm happy for Kevin. He handled his situation here in the hightest professional manner. He didn't whine or #$%^ he took it in stride and even mentored a lot of the younger guys.

Glad he is having success!

I think that's going a bit far.

In September of 2011, Gregg informed us all that we obviously haven't acquired a tasted in his pitching yet.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/09/gregg_you_obviously_havent_acq.html

By the time that he was demoted to mop-up duty after the Red Sox fiasco/game in May of 2012, it's not like he had much of an argument to continue claiming that we didn't understand/accept his taste in pitching. So yes, at that point he finally understood what was happening, and just pitched without complaining any more.

Archived