Criticism of Duquette

WarehouseChatter

DD is the only GM on record not in on Tanaka.
  • Braves president John Schuerholz says that he's not in on Tanaka but that his club did their "due diligence" on him, tweets Jim Bowden of SiriusXM.

The 20 million posting fee has now been split, you can pay the fee in two payments, to make it more affordable.

It's not the posting fee; it is the contract he is going to get. The Yankees/Rangers/Dodgers/Cubs are going to make him a very very very wealthy man.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some complain he plays it too close to the vest, while others complain he gives away too much strategy. Making it to the World Series a few times would quiet the complaints, even if it doesn't change his approach with the media.

Baltimore fan base is emotional and vocal about their team. :)

Unlike other teams' fans?

Good question, but I don't believe there is parity among the fan bases. Some towns have many pro sports / colleges to follow and the fans are split to their loyalty.

and not to say anything wrong about the Ravens.

Baltimore is clearly a baseball town first. Even during the Playoffs and SB last year, OH was a buzz about off-season actions and none-actions, the disappointments with bouncing out early in the playoffs and what might have been, with the anticipation of the following year.

DD is the only GM on record not in on Tanaka.
  • Braves president John Schuerholz says that he's not in on Tanaka but that his club did their "due diligence" on him, tweets Jim Bowden of SiriusXM.

The 20 million posting fee has now been split, you can pay the fee in two payments, to make it more affordable.

Maybe no other GM has an owner who tells them to tell everyone they won't bid on players with posting fees because they are against them on general principle.

Good question, but I don't believe there is parity among the fan bases. Some towns have many pro sports / colleges to follow and the fans are split to their loyalty.

Baltimore is clearly a baseball town first. Even during the Playoffs and SB last year, OH was a buzz about off-season actions and none-actions, the disappointments with bouncing out early in the playoffs and what might have been, with the anticipation of the following year.

I don't think this is true, at all. Football gets the vast majority of attention from a much more significant number of people I interact with, it isn't even close.

I don't think this is true, at all. Football gets the vast majority of attention from a much more significant number of people I interact with, it isn't even close.

I don't think it can be compared, really. The Ravens have had far more success over the past decade or two, so it is really hard to say. I think it is fair to say that Baltimore is a good sports town.

Baltimore has always been football first.

Look at Memorial Stadium attendance numbers, they are Tampa Bay-esque and this was during the heydays of the 60's-70's. Orioles' attendance doesn't climb until the Colts left. The things is, Gen-X and the Millenials (my people) know Baltimore as baseball-first town. But that also coincides with Yankee hegemony.

Baltimore wasclearly a baseball town first.

Think you way way off base here.

Of course the Hangout was buzzing about the O's, its a forum about the O's lol

America is a football nation. May not be palatable to some but the numbers overwhelming reinforce that when an average Mon Night Football game creams the ratings of the World Series. We can argue if it should be but right now Baseball has handed over the title of America's game without so much as a whimper.

Far as the O's vrs Ravens in this town. Its not even close. Between the popularity of football and the Ravens success, the O's are a distant second. That does not mean the O's do not have a great fan base because we do. It also does not mean that the fans of Baltimore are not wanting the Orioles to give them something to cheer about because they are. The O's are loved but we are not St Louis were the Cardinals rule the roost.

Baltimore has always been football first.

Look at Memorial Stadium attendance numbers, they are Tampa Bay-esque and this was during the heydays of the 60's-70's. Orioles' attendance doesn't climb until the Colts left. The things is, Gen-X and the Millenials (my people) know Baltimore as baseball-first town. But that also coincides with Yankee hegemony.

I love baseball. My son has love for it to as a result of having gone to games and watched them with me.

All that said your dead on about the generational numbers. It should scare Baseball. Among my sons friends the vast majority are rabid Football fans first...NFL or College and then NBA/College BB would rank second. MLB has been relegated in their group to a sport like hockey that you folllow along and maybe get into if your team has a good season.

Thanks Bud Selig for all your leadership and being inventive in exposing the youth of America to baseball and its joys.

Irsay left because of many reasons, one of which, the town wasn't as supportive then.

The Orioles have multiple championships.

Like I said, nothing against the Ravens, and they do have two SB rings, but honestly, take a poll, Baltimore is a baseball town.

Walk onto a corner in LA, and ask the guy, What sport team comes to mind, when I say Baltimore. 9 times out of 10, it will be the Orioles.

You are right. It is tough to gamble on baseball.

I am quite frightened that football will be legislated out of business in my lifetime over health concerns.

I am with you on that one.

I tend to think there is an Ebb and flow to these things.

What baseball needs is a dynamic commissioner who understands that the sport is and needs to be sold to potential customers.

Standing on tradition is great to some extent, it is also a way for baseball to remain standing still as other sports pass them by in the consciousness of Americans.

You have to adjust and find ways to connect to the next generation of fans. Baseball has failed in an epic way in that regard IMO. That's a failure in leadership from the commissioner on down.

Archived