Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

(vs. YANKEES, 7/10)

After Mark Trumbo failed to make contact with the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the 9th inning of a tie game, a Sac-Fly was no longer a possibility to plate the winning run.

Jonathan Schoop needed to get a hit in order for the Orioles to win the game ........ and he did just that.

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

With the team down to their final strike, Schoop tied the game with a solo home run.

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 7/20)

NUMBER 11

JONATHAN RUFINO JEZUS SCHOOP

o

o

This one was a solo shot that gave the Orioles the lead in the top of the 6th inning.

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 7/22)

NUMBER 12

o

On 7/10/2018 at 3:43 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Schoop on Possible Machado Deal: “I don’t Want to Imagine that Day Coming”

(By Steve Melweski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/07/schoop-on-possible-machado-deal-i-dont-want-to-imagine-that-day-coming.html

o

o

Jonny sad-eyes ........

Manny Machado's with Los Angeles, and Orioles' Jonathan Schoop is Left with a Case of the Dodger Blues

(By Eduardo A. Encina)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-blog-20180721-story.html

o

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Could Schoop's hot streak over the past 16 (there about's) games initiate some trade talk?  

Possible. His refusal to walk is going to be a tough selling point but we'll see what happens.

I still stand by us trying to move Machado and Britton quickly is to allow for more talk with guys like Gaus, Schoop, Bundy, etc. leading up to the deadline.

9 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Possible. His refusal to walk is going to be a tough selling point but we'll see what happens.

I still stand by us trying to move Machado and Britton quickly is to allow for more talk with guys like Gaus, Schoop, Bundy, etc. leading up to the deadline.

Let's hope you're right.

o

This was Schoop's 3rd home run of the season against the Red Sox.

(vs. RED SOX, 7/24)

NUMBER 14

o

o

A 2-run shot up the leftfield line that stayed fair, and tied the game for the Orioles.

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 7/26)

NUMBER 15

o

Healthy and still scuffling, Schoop didn’t start either of the Orioles’ games on June 30 and July 1. He again found himself in the starting lineup on July 3, after the team’s off day.

The time off seems to have helped. Since his benching, Schoop has seen a massive uptick in production:

Schoop before benching: .197/.242 /.345, 55 wRC+ (266 PA)
Schoop after benching: .367/.363/.684, 182 wRC+ (80 PA)

You may notice that in his recent surge, his batting average is higher than his on-base percentage. That’s because in addition to not drawing a single walk during his hot streak, Schoop has one sacrifice fly.  That’s a unique way to turn things around.

Compared to earlier in the season, Schoop has been hitting the ball much harder this past month. Before he was benched, Schoop had a soft-hit percentage of 28.1% and a hard-hit percentage of 24.5%. Since then, he’s cut down on the softly hit balls (17.2%) and ramped up the hard contact (34.4%). That also coincides with him using more of an all-fields approach:

Before benching: 43.4 Pull%, 36.2 Cent%, 20.4 Oppo%
After benching: 39.1 Pull%, 32.8 Cent%, 28.1 Oppo%

Schoop has also been more aggressive at the plate:

Before benching: 39.2 O-Swing%, 77.0 Z-Swing%, 55.7 Swing%
After benching: 41.3 O-Swing%, 80.5 Z-Swing%, 60.2 Swing%

Schoop almost certainly won’t be able to keep this up much longer without drawing any walks (a .397 BABIP has been a help during this stretch). With a career walk percentage of 3.7%, he’s never been someone who draws a bunch of free passes. But it’s probably not a coincidence that last year, when he walked a career-high 5.2% of the time, he had his best offensive season (121 wRC+).

Still, it’s positive that Schoop is making better contact and punching the ball to right field. It’s also intriguing that he is surging at a time when the Orioles are figuring out what to do next in their rebuilding process. 

Matt Kremnitzer - https://theathletic.com/448091/2018/07/27/jonathan-schoop-is-surging-what-should-the-orioles-do-with-him/

o

5 consecutive games with a home run for Schoop.

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 7/27)

NUMBER 16

o

On 7/27/2018 at 9:59 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 7/27)

NUMBER 16

o

On 7/27/2018 at 9:54 PM, SteveA said:

FIVE STRAIGHT GAMES WITH A HR !!!

On 7/27/2018 at 9:54 PM, SteveA said:

That ties the Major League record for most consecutive games with a HR by a 2nd baseman.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:55 PM, SteveA said:

o

2nd Basemen With a HR in 5 Consecutive Games

A) llllll Rogers Hornsby

B) llllll Ryne Sandberg

C) llllll Jonathan Schoop

o

o

6 home runs in his last 7 games.

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 7/29)

NUMBER 17