2014 Milwaukee Brewers

OFFNY

o

(APRIL 25th)

While Carlos Villanueva has an awful E.R.A. of 10.83 and W.H.I.P. of 2.143, he has only given out 2 free passes (1 walk, and 1 hit batsman) in 14 innings pitched so far this season.

Also, of the 5 games that he has pitched this season, 3 have been starts, and 2 have been in relief.

CHICAGO CUBS

Emilio Bonifacio - 2B

Luis Valbuena - 3B

Anthony Rizzo - 1B

Starlin Castro - SS

Nate Schierholtz - RF

Junior Lake - LF

Ryan Sweeney - CF

Welington Castillo - C

Carlos Villanueva - RHP (1-4, 10.93 ERA)

MILWAUKEE BREWERS

Carlos Gomez - CF

Scooter Gennett - 2B

Ryan Braun - RF

Aramis Ramirez - 3B

Jonathan Lucroy - C

Khris Davis - LF

Lyle Overbay - 1B

Jean Segura - SS

Matt Garza - RHP (0-2, 4.50 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

• 3 weeks later...

o

(MAY 16th)

Pitcher's duel match-up.

MILWAUKEE BREWERS

Logan Schafer - CF

Jean Segura - SS

Scooter Gennett - 2B

Jonathan Lucroy - C

Lyle Overbay - 1B

Mark Reynolds - 3B

Khris Davis - LF

Elian Herrera - RF

Kyle Lohse - RHP (4-1, 2.75 ERA)

CHICAGO CUBS

Emilio Bonifacio - CF

Junior Lake - LF

Anthony Rizzo - 1B

Starlin Castro - SS

Luis Valbuena - 3B

Welington Castillo - C

Nate Schierholtz - RF

Darwin Barney - 2B

Jeff Samrdzija - RHP (0-3, 1.45 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

• 2 weeks later...

o

After taking 2 out of 3 games from the Orioles, the Brewers find themselves at 32-22 overall at the 1/3 point of the season.

Leading their division, 2 and-a-half games ahead of the Cardinals.

• 1 month later...

o

(JULY 13th)

The Brewers have lost 7 straight games, and 11 out of their last 12:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/mil/milwaukee-brewers

The Friday loss to the Cardinals was particularly crushing, as they blew a 6-0 lead, and fell, 7-6.

Only 2 weeks ago, the Milwaukeeans had a 6 and-a-half game lead in the division.

That 6 and-a-half game lead is now gone, as today's game against the Cardinals will be for sole possession of 1st place in the N.L. Central, heading into the All-Star break.

• 1 month later...

o

THE BREWERS' LONG-TERM STUMBLE

(by OFFNY)

On June 28th, the Milwaukee Brewers were sitting pretty atop the N.L. Central, with a 6 and-a-half game lead over the Cardinals.

They had just beaten the Colorado Rockies by a score of 7-4, and had gone 21-10 over a 5-week period ..... a stretch that saw them increase their lead in the division from 1.5 games to 6.5 games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

Since then, the Milwaukee-ans have gone 22-32, and have seen their once relatively comfortable lead vanish, and are now a game behind the Redbirds. That 22-32 stretch covers 54 games, 1/3 of the entire season.

The Cardinals, for their part, have had their ups and downs, but each time that it looked like they might be ready to bow out of the race, they have managed to get up off of the canvas and land a solid combination to remind all that they have no intention of going anywhere.

The division is completely up for grabs. The Brewers are hoping to take that statement at face value. The Cardinals are hoping that the Brewers long, painful fall from grace over the last 54 games (1/3 of the season) is evidence that THEY (the Cardinals) have an advantage down the stretch.

Regardless of who prevails, it will be an exciting final 4 weeks of the season in the N.L. Central, with the Pirates trying their very best to throw their hat into the ring, as well.

o

THE BREWERS' LONG-TERM STUMBLE

(by OFFNY)

On June 28th, the Milwaukee Brewers were sitting pretty atop the N.L. Central, with a 6 and-a-half game lead over the Cardinals.

They had just beaten the Colorado Rockies by a score of 7-4, and had gone 21-10 over a 5-week period ..... a stretch that saw them increase their lead in the division from 1.5 games to 6.5 games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

Since then, the Milwaukee-ans have gone 22-32, and have seen their once relatively comfortable lead vanish, and are now a game behind the Redbirds. That 22-32 stretch covers 54 games, 1/3 of the entire season.

The Cardinals, for their part, have had their ups and downs, but each time that it looked like they might be ready to bow out of the race, they have managed to get up off of the canvas and land a solid combination to remind all that they have no intention of going anywhere.

The division is completely up for grabs. The Brewers are hoping to take that statement at face value. The Cardinals are hoping that the Brewers long, painful fall from grace over the last 54 games (1/3 of the season) is evidence that THEY (the Cardinals) have an advantage down the stretch.

Regardless of who prevails, it will be an exciting final 4 weeks of the season in the N.L. Central, with the Pirates trying their very best to throw their hat into the ring, as well.

The Brewers have gone 1-6 since I wrote this last week.

Their long-term stumble has continued.

Ugh. And they are trailing again tonight against Miami.

I like the Brewers and although I was never sure if they had the talent to be a division winner this year I was definitely rooting for them to pull off the upset season over StL. How refreshing would it have been to have the Cardinals alongside the Sox and Yanks on the outside looking in during October?

It would take a miracle now for Milwaukee or Pittsburgh to win that division, though I'm still hoping one of those two teams can take the Wild Card from San Fran or Atlanta.

• 2 weeks later...

o

(SEPTEMBER 17th)

The previously slumping Brewers, who looked dead in the water last week, have won 5 out of their last 6 games to scramble back into contention.

They are 4 games behind the Cardinals in the N.L. Central division, and a game and-a-half behind the Pirates for the 2nd wildcard.

• 2 weeks later...

o

(SEPTEMBER 28th)

After leading their division for the majority of the season, the Brewers have been officially eliminated from postseason contention.

Their nosedive included going 30-46 over 76 games from June 29th through the present.

On that date (June 29th), the Brewers had a 6 and-a-half-game lead in the N.L. Central.

Archived