Final Day Trade Rumor Countdown thread. (Deadline 4 PM)

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lester and Gomes to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a> for Cespedes, per <a href="https://twitter.com/alexspeier">@alexspeier</a>.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the A's land Lester, I take back saying I was not scared of them.

I see why you say that and agree. But it's all on paper. If you were to show me the Angels' roster - with Pujols, Hamilton, Trout, Weaver, etc., and show me the Orioles' roster... on paper I would say we have little chance of taking even one game from them.

I think Buck and Dan have a really good sense for how to construct a team - so that it's more than the sum of its parts. Hopefully that will keep winning us some ball games, regardless of how impressive other teams' rosters may be!

That said, holy snot. The A's are ridiculous - and just got ridiculouser.

What do the A's have to offer the Sox anyhow? Some of you with much more

knowledge were telling me that they pretty much were empty system wise after the

Cubs trade.

Indeed - they had to cull from their MLB roster to pull off the deal. I suspect that Boston may be happy with this deal over the long haul.

Really surprised the Sox didn't go for a deal from another team w/ prospects; I

guess they could not get a good enough prospect to pull the trigger.

They will be counting on having Cespedes in the OF next year, and re-signing Lester, so that they essentially swap Gomes for Cespedes for 2015.

As an O's fan, I like this deal. I was very worried that the Red Sox would pick up a young, cost-controlled player with tremendous upside that they'd have for years to come.

Cespedes is a good player, but is definitely flawed, and is already making nine million a year. After next season, that will jump through arbitration to >15.

As an O's fan, I like this deal. I was very worried that the Red Sox would pick up a young, cost-controlled player with tremendous upside that they'd have for years to come.

Cespedes is a good player, but is definitely flawed, and is already making nine million a year. After next season, that will jump through arbitration to >15.

And he is only signed through next season.

Archived