Final Day Trade Rumor Countdown thread. (Deadline 4 PM)

weams

Not sure what the Sox were thinking on this. Cespedes is a free agent after next year. Do they think they will be good next year? Because they are going to have to pay Cespedes big money if they want to keep him beyond 2015. Maybe they flip him at the break next year, but if I was them, I would have looked for younger guys under control for more years. Perhaps that wasn't an option and that's why they went with Cespedes. Just not sure this makes them much better in the future.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It didn't dawn on me that for as great as they've been, Oakland is still only 2.5 games up on the Angels, so they're not sitting at an insurmountable place. Seems like a bit of a desperation move to me.

The Angels do have a good shot at catching them. I wonder if they make a move for a starter today.

Not sure what the Sox were thinking on this. Cespedes is a free agent after next year. Do they think they will be good next year? Because they are going to have to pay Cespedes big money if they want to keep him beyond 2015. Maybe they flip him at the break next year, but if I was them, I would have looked for younger guys under control for more years. Perhaps that wasn't an option and that's why they went with Cespedes. Just not sure this makes them much better in the future.

If Cespedes walks they can still get a compensation pick since he wasn't traded in his last year (or at least that is my understanding).

According to BBref, he's not a FA until 2018. He starts arbitration in 2016.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cespeyo01.shtml#contracts

He's not a free agent after next season - he becomes arb eligible.

He has a special deal since he wasn't drafted.

Jerry Crasnick

Yoenis Cespedes is signed for a reasonable $10 .5M in 2015, then he'll be eligible for free agency. #athletics #redsox

Why would they? Despite the fact that Joseph has done well defensively he and Hundley aren't hitting....so much so that they were looking at Suzuki.

You would because Lester is a this year move and Wieters will not help the Orioles this year.

Yeah obviously we don't know who was offered for who and etc but if I were the Sox, I would have gotten more younger talent back immediately. But as you point out, that may not have been an option. Oakland is going all in I see.

So this will be interesting to see what the O's do. Lester is crossed off, and it looks like Bonifacio too.

We've heard Cotts. That's about it for the recent rumors.

Where did Bonifacio go? I haven't seen anything about him being traded.

Archived