Yankees release Brian Roberts

LarryHarlow

Roberts was openly called out by Buck for his lack of effort. I remember it well. That's a big deal and I'm betting there's more to it than just that one incident.

It's apparently a priority for the second baseman to cover second for Hardy so he doesn't have to make routine throws to first. Roberts does this when he's in the mood.

In the past, we've rationalized and dismissed his meandering down the first base line as some sort of ML privilige that "a lot of guys do". I'm not sure that we've had too many discussions about an Oriole doing this since he left. Maybe some do and have, but Roberts just seemed pretty blatant about it, and if i appears blatant to many of us, I'm guessing it was an issue with Buck.

I'm actually with you that I think Roberts would be a clear, if not marginal upgrade from what we have. I think he'd be a good addition in September and would be for it. That said, i think there's enough signs (even absent Tony's inside information) that Buck doesn't want this guys attitude around something he has taken great care to mold.

I almost find it laughable to hear about how Roberts was called out by Buck, and that he was a lazy player, and only played hard when he felt like it. Sure on occasion he wouldn't sprint down the line to first on a ball hit to the 2b, but most players do that on occasion. To call him out for that and make him sound lazy is a little overdone. He always gave effort in the field, and on the basepaths. He was a really good player for us and all he gets is ripped up and down for being lazy and a selfish player. I dont buy it

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roberts was openly called out by Buck for his lack of effort. I remember it well. That's a big deal and I'm betting there's more to it than just that one incident.

It's apparently a priority for the second baseman to cover second for Hardy so he doesn't have to make routine throws to first. Roberts does this when he's in the mood.

In the past, we've rationalized and dismissed his meandering down the first base line as some sort of ML privilige that "a lot of guys do". I'm not sure that we've had too many discussions about an Oriole doing this since he left. Maybe some do and have, but Roberts just seemed pretty blatant about it, and if i appears blatant to many of us, I'm guessing it was an issue with Buck.

I'm actually with you that I think Roberts would be a clear, if not marginal upgrade from what we have. I think he'd be a good addition in September and would be for it. That said, i think there's enough signs (even absent Tony's inside information) that Buck doesn't want this guys attitude around something he has taken great care to mold.

My thought is that signing Roberts will add very little upside to a team that is in first place.

Further, the fact that he is still on the market speaks volumes as well.

I doubt that many teams think that he has much left in the tank.

[QUOTE=auzzy98;3584094]I almost find it laughable to hear about how Roberts was called out by Buck, and that he was a lazy player, and only played hard when he felt like it. Sure on occasion he wouldn't sprint down the line to first on a ball hit to the 2b, but most players do that on occasion. To call him out for that and make him sound lazy is a little overdone. He always gave effort in the field, and on the basepaths. He was a really good player for us and all he gets is ripped up and down for being lazy and a selfish player. I dont buy it

I saw this more often than the occasional occurrence.

That's the kind of stuff that basically slowly poisons a team.

The Orioles don't need this right now.

I almost find it laughable to hear about how Roberts was called out by Buck, and that he was a lazy player, and only played hard when he felt like it. Sure on occasion he wouldn't sprint down the line to first on a ball hit to the 2b, but most players do that on occasion. To call him out for that and make him sound lazy is a little overdone. He always gave effort in the field, and on the basepaths. He was a really good player for us and all he gets is ripped up and down for being lazy and a selfish player. I dont buy it

Laugh all you want my friend. He clearly could help but they won't get him for a reason.

He was openly called out by Buck for his lack of effort on a particular play. Effort on a goundball. I believe he apologized for it. I will try and look it up, but it did happen. How many times has that happened to an Oriole player under Buck.

He was ripped by many for being lazy when he did play for us, so none of this is new.

Roberts was openly called out by Buck for his lack of effort..

I call BS. I'll eat a large plate of raw crow if you can find a quote from Buck calling out Brian Roberts for lack of effort.

The character assassination of Roberts is ridiculous. He was the best player on the team during a horrible time and played incredibly hard. The O's signed him to a dumb contract and he got injured.

Laugh all you want my friend. He clearly could help but they won't get him for a reason.

He was openly called out by Buck for his lack of effort on a particular play. Effort on a goundball. I believe he apologized for it. I will try and look it up, but it did happen. How many times has that happened to an Oriole player under Buck.

He was ripped by many for being lazy when he did play for us, so none of this is new.

You're right if you are referring to the Roberts haters on OH. Roberts was never perceived by the media or the majority of the Orioles fanbase as being a lazy player. He was always praised as being a hustler, a scrappy 2b and a great leadoff hitter in his day.

Again, total BS. He was ripped to shreds when he didn't live up to his contract. He played very hard and hustled for years when the team was loaded with retreads and goofs.

I call BS. I'll eat a large plate of raw crow if you can find a quote from Buck calling out Brian Roberts for lack of effort.

The character assassination of Roberts is ridiculous. He was the best player on the team during a horrible time and played incredibly hard. The O's signed him to a dumb contract and he got injured.

I remember an incident. I'll try to find it too.

That is fine. I can't find it. Probably buried in a Roch blog somewhere. I remember the incident very well. Anyways, many of these criticisms of Roberts are certainly nothing new.

That is fine. I can't find it. Probably buried in a Roch blog somewhere. I remember the incident very well. Anyways, many of these criticisms of Roberts are certainly nothing new.

By Roberts haters of course. There are ppl that just don't like certain players for whatever reason. Doesn't mean that he was a lazy player just cuz that's your opinion of him. I remember him being a hustler, being scrappy and aggressive.

Again, total BS. He was ripped to shreds when he didn't live up to his contract. He played very hard and hustled for years when the team was loaded with retreads and goofs.

You haven't read too many Brain Roberts threads have you. His lack of effort in certain situations has (not covering second, not hustling down the line) has been discussed ad nauseum on here. Was that exacerbated by his bad play and contract? Yeah, sure.

[/i][/b]

By Roberts haters of course. There are ppl that just don't like certain players for whatever reason. Doesn't mean that he was a lazy player just cuz that's your opinion of him. I remember him being a hustler, being scrappy and aggressive.

He was a very good player. If you noticed, I'm in favor of bringing him back. If you've never noticed things like him not covering second base or loligagging down the line, then I'd say you're pretty much blind.

You haven't read too many Brain Roberts threads have you. His lack of effort in certain situations has (not covering second, not hustling down the line) has been discussed ad nauseum on here. Was that exacerbated by his bad play and contract? Yeah, sure.

Funny, i just remember the defensive "chosen one" (flaherty) botching that play just the other week. Didn't get to second for the flip from JJ to turn a dp. Didn't get the out at 1st either. Everyone goofs

Archived