Yankees release Brian Roberts

LarryHarlow

He was openly called out by Buck for his lack of effort on a particular play. Effort on a goundball. I believe he apologized for it. I will try and look it up, but it did happen. How many times has that happened to an Oriole player under Buck.

He was ripped by many for being lazy when he did play for us, so none of this is new.

Please do look it up, because I don't remember this.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could be wrong but when Roberts was injured wasn't he spotted in the dugout quite often next to Buck? I remember watching some games on MLB.TV and hearing how Roberts was picking his brain.
I don't doubt you a bit, but I do find it surprising. Roberts was always hanging around Buck while he was on the bench.

Exactly, personally I think it was more of a Duq decision, which I was fine with. It just seems odd that if Buck had an issue with BRob, Roberts wouldn't have been sitting next to him as much. Hard to figure.

At this point I'm not so sure how much Roberts would help the Orioles. Plus the defense Schoop provides is superior. I don't see it happening, when the roster expands we'll be seeing Weeks and Lombo.

Maybe because he was playing deep in the hole. Still ran to try and get there but then hesitated because of some confusion. In addition to watching, you might want to listen to Buck's post game comments more as he explained the play clearly and exhonerated Flaherty. Flaherty may have brain farted in the end on that play but it was not for lack of effort. Can't say the same for Mr. Roberts effort on many similar and much easier plays.

I wasn't deflecting at all. U said similar and easier plays referring to Flahertys botched DP. The play he made to get Alexi Ramirez one of his first games back off the DL last year. Running forward barehanding and getting the out. No hustle involved there.

Look i'm not referring to DP's or that Roberts did not ever hustle and make great plays. Roberts got over on DP's and made good plays. I'm referring to a couple specific things, one being the the forceout at second base where Roberts was often very content allowing the SS to make the throw across the diamond rather than hustle over to second base for the shorter throw and easier out. You have already admitted that this is something he did do. I'm just saying that there is a higher standard now, it's not Bucks's way of doing business and it's likely one of several factors why Roberts (despite probably being able to help this team) is persona non grata.

Where is the link where buck calls out Roberts for being lazy?

Roberts was a fine player and a heck of an oriole. If the o's hadn't given him that contract he would be fondly remembered and fans would feel bad that he was stuck on sucky teams. The end of his orioles career stunk but he played hard for years and years on terrible teams.

Please do look it up, because I don't remember this.

Yeah, i tried a couple searches and couldn't find it. i'm not going to spend hours looking for it. its not something that i vaguely recall, it's something i recall quite clearly or i would not have stated it. Roberts dogged a groundball in a game the Orioles were losing by a wide margin and got called out on it. The fact that he called out in it is what makes it notable. Pretty sure it was detailed in Roch's blog. I perfectly understand that you both don't believe or would not believe it without a link. That is fine.

As for Roberts, I stated from day one that Frobby posted the idea, that I would be fine with bringing him back. I think he can help the team and improve the horrendous production at second base we are getting, even if temporarily and/or in limited play and in September etc.. Part of the managers job should be able to deal with personal issues if there are some.

Roberts was a very good player. An All-star. One of the few highlights of some bad teams. I very much enjoyed watching him play over the years. By all accounts he was great working with the community as well. That said, he was a steroid user, a liar and exhibited some questionable leadership traits on the field at times (covering 2nd/lolligagging to first etc.) and I'm not sure he was considered much of leader off the field from anything that I have heard.

Taking his history, Buck Ball, our current level of play, and Tony's insider comments into account I'm not sure how anybody can sit here in disbelief that the team has issues with Roberts attitude.

Yeah, i tried a couple searches and couldn't find it. i'm not going to spend hours looking for it. its not something that i vaguely recall, it's something i recall quite clearly or i would not have stated it. Roberts dogged a groundball in a game the Orioles were losing by a wide margin and got called out on it. The fact that he called out in it is what makes it notable. Pretty sure it was detailed in Roch's blog. I perfectly understand that you both don't believe or would not believe it without a link. That is fine.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't believe you. I just don't remember it, and I would have thought if something like that happened, it would have generated a thread here that would be 50 pages long. And while I do remember many posters complaining that Roberts didn't run hard to 1B all the time (I never thought he was much worse than average in that regard), I don't remember hearing a lot of complaints about him not covering 2B on force plays, other than one time. That said, you may be right that Buck simply didn't think BRob gave his best effort all the time, and doesn't want him back for that reason. He certainly makes it a point to single out instances when a hitter does run hard to first base on a pretty regular basis, so obviously that is something he values.

Exactly, personally I think it was more of a Duq decision, which I was fine with. It just seems odd that if Buck had an issue with BRob, Roberts wouldn't have been sitting next to him as much. Hard to figure.

At this point I'm not so sure how much Roberts would help the Orioles. Plus the defense Schoop provides is superior. I don't see it happening, when the roster expands we'll be seeing Weeks and Lombo.

Ivan Dejesus, Jr should be starting with Flaherty backing him up. Schoop should be in AAA, and Roberts should retire.

And while I do remember many posters complaining that Roberts didn't run hard to 1B all the time (I never thought he was much worse than average in that regard), That said, you may be right that Buck simply didn't think BRob gave his best effort all the time, and doesn't want him back for that reason. He certainly makes it a point to single out instances when a hitter does run hard to first base on a pretty regular basis, so obviously that is something he values.

In Roberts case maybe it's something that looks worse than it is at times. I do think it is a factor though.

I don't remember hearing a lot of complaints about him not covering 2B on force plays, other than one time.

I don't know about complaints, maybe it just didn't burn us very often or even noted that much since it became fairly "normal" in "many" cases. It is not now. I definitely remember it being a topic of conversation though.

I'm not sure how anybody can sit here in disbelief that the team has issues with Roberts attitude.

I think it is a matter of no super stars on this team. A bunch of good and veteran leaders, but no one that has an entourage.

I don't doubt Tony at all. Just find it really interesting, Brian always seemed to have a "good guy" aura about him, never got too much of a prima donna vibe from him....after all this is a guy who spent a pretty damn good career wasting away for an awful Orioles team and chose to stay here. These days, stories and anecdotes get leaked no problem. Whoever kept that stuff under wraps did a damn good job.

I hear ya. From everything I've heard, both Roberts and the Orioles had an interest in keeping him "fan friendly" but the reality was known by most. I don't know the guy personally and have only "talked with him in the clubhouse" a few times over his career, but there are way too many stories and innuendo for it to be some figment of imagination. Trust me, the guy who told me this latest stuff is very, very connected and reliable source.

The Orioles have shown they have no interest though by their actions. As I've always said, "Actions speak louder than words." The facts are that the Orioles did not offer Roberts a contract after the season. That to me spokes volumes. Don't forget, Roberts was popular with ownership. Don't think that didn't play into some things in the past. Buck and DD now have enough success around them that they have a lot more control over the people in that clubhouse than any leadership in the past.

I don't doubt you are hearing this, but without specifics of how Roberts didn't act in a "team first" way, it is very hard for me to accept that this was a significant factor in the Orioles' decision not to re-sign him or the Yankees' decision to release him. I think the Orioles just preferred to give an opportunity to younger players who have a long-term future with the organization. That's fine, but I'm disappointed with what Schoop and Flaherty have done so far with the opportunity they were given. The defense has been good, better than what Roberts could have provided (though he's been far from terrible), but the OBP we've been getting from these two (.251 from Schoop, .269 from Flaherty) is just atrocious. Frankly, I'd like BRob here as a part time player and PH down the stretch, but it's pretty clear that isn't going to happen.

All I will say on this is that a lot of fans that don't know the whole story feel the same way. He was a fan favorite and I can accept that some fans would like to see him back. You can not believe me or my sources, but none of these people had any reason to lie. I know it's tough for fans to accept that how a player comes across in the media and with the fans at events might not always jive with how they really are. Some players work harder on the illusion than others.

[QUOTE=auzzy98;3584094]I almost find it laughable to hear about how Roberts was called out by Buck, and that he was a lazy player, and only played hard when he felt like it. Sure on occasion he wouldn't sprint down the line to first on a ball hit to the 2b, but most players do that on occasion. To call him out for that and make him sound lazy is a little overdone. He always gave effort in the field, and on the basepaths. He was a really good player for us and all he gets is ripped up and down for being lazy and a selfish player. I dont buy it

I saw this more often than the occasional occurrence.

That's the kind of stuff that basically slowly poisons a team.

The Orioles don't need this right now.

Bingo, and so did others. That worked when the team was a perrenial loser and he was a big fish in a small bad pond. It doesn't work in a Buck environment where respect for the game and the Orioles uniform is a huge part.

Archived