Orioles trade for Kelly Johnson and Michael Almanzar

furryburres

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Sunday' date=' the Orioles will have to make two 25-man-roster moves to make room for De Aza and Sunday?s starter, left-hander Wei-Yin Chen. Johnson won?t join the team until Monday, when rosters expand. [b']So long as he is on the 40-man roster, which he is, Johnson doesn?t have to be on the 25-man roster before Monday to be eligible for the postseason.[/b]

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-some-analysis-on-saturdays-trades-20140830,0,5196740.story#ixzz3BxoWq4FN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a weird comment by by Connolly and Encina. Kelly Johnson is on the Red Sox 25 man roster. I don't think there is a way to get him to the O's 40 man roster without him being on the O's 25 roster today. Either he makes the 25 man roster today and is eligible for the playoffs or the joins the O's tomorrow after the rosters expand. If he doesn't join the O's until tomorrow he will not be eligible to play in the playoffs.

This is a weird comment by by Connolly and Encina. Kelly Johnson is on the Red Sox 25 man roster. I don't think there is a way to get him to the O's 40 man roster without him being on the O's 25 roster today. Either he makes the 25 man roster today and is eligible for the playoffs or the joins the O's tomorrow after the rosters expand. If he doesn't join the O's until tomorrow he will not be eligible to play in the playoffs.

Any player in the organization. Today. Is eligible for post season with our disabled slots. I assume that he can be added after the game today whether he is there or not.

Any player in the organization. Today. Is eligible for post season with our disabled slots. I assume that he can be added after the game today whether he is there or not.

The question in when do the O's place Kelly Johnson on the O's roster. Today which makes him eligible for the post season or tomorrow which does not make him eligible for the post season. Kelly is not in the O's organization until he placed on the O's roster.

I can't say honestly that I like either move yesterday (I did like the Miller trade), but Duq knows more than I do. And there was no chance that Dejesus was going to stay with the O's next season - considering they gave him no opportunity this season - other than to show his stuff to other teams. If he doesn't prove to be a good MLBer next season, I'll be surprised - and this certainly makes it more likely that it'll be with Boston. I'm fine with acquiring talented quality players for the stretch - I'm just not seeing yesterday's acquisitions as falling into that category.

The question in when do the O's place Kelly Johnson on the O's roster. Today which makes him eligible for the post season or tomorrow which does not make him eligible for the post season. Kelly is not in the O's organization until he placed on the O's roster.

I don't think there's any question he'll be put on the roster today - for that reason. They'll just send someone down for a day or 2 and bring em back up - that person will stay on the 40 man roster.

Kelly is in the Organization as we speak. It is just the roster shuffle and we know they get time for that. Especially if there is an open 40 man slot. Assignment can take days sometimes.

I don't think there's any question he'll be put on the roster today - for that reason. They'll just send someone down for a day or 2 and bring em back up - that person will stay on the 40 man roster.

Buck's comment in the post game presser that Kelly Johnson would not join the team until Monday is what has caused the confusion. That comment from Buck is not conclusive. We will have to wait and see what happens today.

Buck's comment in the post game presser that Kelly Johnson would not join the team until Monday is what has caused the confusion. That comment from Buck is not conclusive. We will have to wait and see what happens today.

Yeah, we are quibbling over something here that I am positive Dan and Buck have wired tight.

These are depth moves and nothing else. De Aza is not better than David Lough (this year). He didn't become a full time player until 28 and seems to be regressing.

2012 .760

2013 .728

2014 .663

David Lough has been buried on the bench since he blew his chance in April and May. I do not see De Aza as some kind of significant upgrade but now the O's have two such players instead of one. De Aza is likely non tendered this winter. Lough probably comes back next year.

Kelly Johnson is not a good player anymore, offensively or defensively. He might be a nice PH option for Jon Schoop in a tight spot though.

I agree with this post. Thanks.

Kelly is in the Organization as we speak. It is just the roster shuffle and we know they get time for that. Especially if there is an open 40 man slot. Assignment can take days sometimes.

Announcing a trade and being in the organization are to different things. The O's have to submit his name on the roster to the commissioner's office. When the O's do that is the official act that puts Kelly Johnson in the O's organization. We don't know whether will happen. Today or tomorrow.

The O's have said that De Aza will be with the team today. He will be on the roster and eligible for post season play. There is not one set of rules for De Aza and another set for Kelly Johnson. Johnson has to be placed on the 25 man roster today to be eligible for post season play. Its unclear if that will happen today.

Archived