2014-15 Orioles Offseason Tracker

Oldorioles

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/minor-moves-putknonen-orioles.html

The Orioles have inked a pair of independent league players to minor league deals, tweets Rich Dubroff of CSN Baltimore: first baseman Casey Haerther and outfielder Jake Luce.

The 27-year-old Haerther, a fifth-rounder with the Angels in 2009, has spent the past two seasons playing with the Winnipeg Goldeyes of the American Association and batted an impressive .360/.390/.535 with 13 homers and 29 doubles in 418 plate appearances in 2014.

Luce, 25, has never been in affiliated ball to this point. After struggling in his first year of indy ball, he split the 2014 season between the United Baseball League’s Brownsville Charros and the American Association’s Wichita Wingnuts (partly owned by former Tigers hurler Nate Robertson), batting a combined .313/.372/.453 with seven homers and 22 steals in 341 PAs.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/minor-moves-putknonen-orioles.html

The Orioles have inked a pair of independent league players to minor league deals, tweets Rich Dubroff of CSN Baltimore: first baseman Casey Haerther and outfielder Jake Luce.

The 27-year-old Haerther, a fifth-rounder with the Angels in 2009, has spent the past two seasons playing with the Winnipeg Goldeyes of the American Association and batted an impressive .360/.390/.535 with 13 homers and 29 doubles in 418 plate appearances in 2014.

Luce, 25, has never been in affiliated ball to this point. After struggling in his first year of indy ball, he split the 2014 season between the United Baseball League’s Brownsville Charros and the American Association’s Wichita Wingnuts (partly owned by former Tigers hurler Nate Robertson), batting a combined .313/.372/.453 with seven homers and 22 steals in 341 PAs.

Updated thanks!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• +10 defense for me. 10 runs is 10 runs. But on defense, I think there's a small, hidden bonus in there of getting pitchers off the field, keeping them healthy, and keeping them pitching with confidence.  
    • I agree that I'd like to see more. I think a trade for a relief piece will happen before the deadline. When, and how big an addition it is, depends on the ripple effects of how well the Means, Bradish, and Wells recoveries go. 
    • Would be nice if Cooper had something to say about Mayo’s defense.  We know he can dominate AAA offensively.  Cooper doesn’t need to tell us that.  
    • Tony, I really did not intend that to be disrespectful at all. There were several other posts about Basallo's tough start and I was simply providing an alternate take that maybe it's not too much to worry about since he's so young for the level he's at. I will acknowledge "nothing to see here" and the "lol" does come off snarky, but it really was not intended as a shot in your direction specifically. It was more of a "hey let's pump the brakes". It was just strictly my opinion, and yes, my opinion is often wrong.  But I do think it's worth mentioning in the context of his rough start that he's super young for his level and coming off injury. Those are big factors. My way of delivering that thought was admittedly clumsy and reads more fanboyish and flippant than I wanted it to, so apologies there. 
    • True. So any combination of guys will score runs with the same net run differential. I guess part of the game would be to construct a roster where you have players with a bunch of different skillsets, and then maximize each player's advantage depending on the situation. That is also definitely something the Orioles have done very well under Elias/Hyde. 
    • I dont know if this is pertinent to the post...but I want people to see this quote about ONE of the prospects in question: " I resisted writing about Mayo last week, as he just continues to impress, week after week, and how many times can I write that he hits the ball really hard, hits it in the air, doesn't swing and miss very much and is very young? So instead, I'll just hope that he'll be up in the majors soon so I don't have to find new ways to express just how elite of a prospect he is. Jordan Westburg's emergence has perhaps clouded the immediate future for Mavo, but there's no question he's shown everything he needs to. He checks every analytical box, and hopefully the Orioles find a way to squeeze him into their major leaque roster soon. JJ Cooper, Baseball America
    • Saying all of this, if Holliday gets a hit and a walk tonight and looks comfortable, I'm not necessarily making the change. If he looks totally lost still, I would. Tonight.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now