Orioles.com: Dan Duquette talks about the things that have made the Orioles successful.

weams

"Improving the pitching, improving the pitching and improving the pitching was what we were trying to do. We were trying to improve the pitching in all areas of the organization. The drafting at the amateur level. The scouting. The player development. And the acquisition of pitchers to help the Major League team. Because we didn't have a core. It's taken a while, because we didn't have a core group of pitchers to staff the Major League team to give us a chance to contend. So that's where we focused our work. And that means in all those areas."

"We try to put our best team out there every night, and sometimes that demands looking at the matchups for tomorrow's game and giving players that we have in Triple-A opportunities. But the good thing about that is when players sign with us, whether it's Triple-A or the big leagues, they know they're going to get an opportunity. And I believe that energizes them and encourages them to do their best when they come up to help the team."

It's so interesting to see how organizational pitching has improved by signing cast offs and under-the-radar international prospects, whereas the picks with the hype hadn't panned out for so long. I still say to this day that the team had terrific pitching prospects and completely messed them up.

• 2 weeks later...
It's so interesting to see how organizational pitching has improved by signing cast offs and under-the-radar international prospects, whereas the picks with the hype hadn't panned out for so long. I still say to this day that the team had terrific pitching prospects and completely messed them up.

http://www.baseballessential.com/sources-tim-gustafson-signs-al-team/

Archived