Who did the As just trade (Update: Donaldson to Toronto)

weams

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...the last few words of that quote are pretty interesting. Beane looked at this team and saw a roster in decline. He wanted to change that, and the primary way you go from decline to incline in baseball is to get younger. This deal absolutely makes the A’s younger.

Dave Cameron

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-thing-about-josh-donaldsons-defense/

I had not realized that he had accumulated 17 throwing errors last season.

Donaldon’s company is concerning. History has shown that racking up 17 throwing errors in a season isn’t just a blip. It’s an identifiable problem. And every third baseman who has had throwing issues as prevalent as Donaldson’s hasn’t lasted much longer at the position.
He's gonna miss that foul territory.

Does playing half of his games in the Coliseum or whatever they call it really affect his WAR significantly? If so, then that metric is extremely flawed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if his throwing is awful (which it is) while his fielding and range are excellent then it stands to reason he would benefit from playing in a ballpark that accentuates his range. You put him in another ballpark and balls that he could get to that a third baseman with lesser range could not are suddenly unplayable.

Does playing half of his games in the Coliseum or whatever they call it really affect his WAR significantly? If so, then that metric is extremely flawed.

They will eventually fix the metrics and I will like them better.

Not anymore then a larger outfield will facilate triples that would only be doubles in a smaller park.

Would you agree that pop ups in foul territory that are caught in Oakland, but go into the stands elsewhere are easier plays than line drives hit in the gap or down the line?

In other words, wouldn't the difference between Delmon Young and Lorenzo Cain trying to field a ball in Citi Field's outfield be greater than Donaldson and (insert range deficient 3b here) trying to catch a pop up?

Archived