Blue Jays end negotiations for Dan Duquette (Beeston re-signs for 2015 season)

xian4

I am having trouble understanding your second sentence. I was not there and I am not questioning that he will give his best efforts THIS year. To me his statement leaves open the possibility of bolting to Toronto after this season. He failed to close that door.

Why would he? He's not an Orioles lifer, and if they want him after this season and the teams agree on compensation he'll be gone. I'm glad he's in the job now and I'm not worried that he's going to leave or get hit by a truck or decide he doesn't like baseball anymore.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would he? He's not an Orioles lifer, and if they want him after this season and the teams agree on compensation he'll be gone. I'm glad he's in the job now and I'm not worried that he's going to leave or get hit by a truck or decide he doesn't like baseball anymore.[/QUOT

I totally disagree. DD is an outstanding GM. I want him here for an extended period of time. We need continuity. Look at the Ravens. Ozzie, DeCosta, I think is is a big loss if he goes at the end of the year.

I am having trouble understanding your second sentence. I was not there and I am not questioning that he will give his best efforts THIS year. To me his statement leaves open the possibility of bolting to Toronto after this season. He failed to close that door.

Unfortunately Gotcha Journalism is all too common these days. DD strikes me as too experienced with the media to give them ammunition to use against him if his circumstances change. Which they might. Or not. Until they do - or don't - I predict he does everything in his power to suck the oxygen out of the conversation about the recent drama. That means sticking to the party line and not deviating from it. That would also mean avoiding potentially self-destructive behavior like pledging undying faith and commitment to the Orioles' cause, etc., etc...

I agree that he'll give his best efforts this year and for as long as he occupies his current position. If he leaves before his contract is up, this recent episode indicates to me that the Orioles intend to exert some control over the terms. That's the way it should be IMO and probably the best we can hope for.

I don't understand why people can't get that he can like his job here, while at the same time wanting to take a career advancing job. The two are not mutually exclusive. I'm having a great time doing my current job but if I got an offer to do a movie or Broadway I'd be gone, and nobody would question it. We love guys like Brooks and Palmer who were O's lifers, but that was because they had no choice. Were there FA for them they might well have left. It's a business.

I don't understand why people can't get that he can like his job here, while at the same time wanting to take a career advancing job. The two are not mutually exclusive. I'm having a great time doing my current job but if I got an offer to do a movie or Broadway I'd be gone, and nobody would question it. We love guys like Brooks and Palmer who were O's lifers, but that was because they had no choice. Were there FA for them they might well have left. It's a business.

I agree. While it is decidedly fuzzy what the Blue Jays job involves exactly, in theory it is about as close to being a MLB owner without actually being one as you can get. I am not loosing sleep that Dan may be lusting in his heart about it.

Why would he? He's not an Orioles lifer, and if they want him after this season and the teams agree on compensation he'll be gone. I'm glad he's in the job now and I'm not worried that he's going to leave or get hit by a truck or decide he doesn't like baseball anymore.[/QUOT

I totally disagree. DD is an outstanding GM. I want him here for an extended period of time. We need continuity. Look at the Ravens. Ozzie, DeCosta, I think is is a big loss if he goes at the end of the year.

I think it's a big loss, too, but worrying about what happens after this season isn't going to change anything and I don't expect his career aspirations to change.

So DD had zero interest in the Blue Jays job? And if he did, it wasn't motivated by more money and more control? Then what was his reason? Just not happy with the Orioles?

Your concern is unfounded. Dan is a better man than those who you evaluate.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/02/06/orioles-duquette-dodges-toronto-questions/

After this interview, i just don't know.

Vinny started off congratulating Dan on being awarded Executive of the Year for the work he did with the team before and during the 2014 season. Having been a GM himself, Vinny used the topic of the award to ask Dan about the situation with Toronto and how getting such an award can get the attention and interest of other teams. Dan laughed off the topic and skirted around it, humbly sharing the responsibility of the award with his staff, recruiters, scouts and player development. “I’ve been focused in helping the Orioles get ready for the coming season.” Dan said, “I don’t have anything to say about the other situation. I just don’t have anything to add to that.” Vinny insisted that Toronto would probably be after him again if he has another good season, to which Dan responded “Well, I don’t know about that. It’s nice to be wanted and we’re going to have another good year here this year with the Orioles.” When asked if the Toronto job offer hurt any relationships within the organization with Angelos or Showalter, Dan repsonded, “I’ve been focused on helping the team get ready. That’s a habit that I have. I’ve been working with the people to get our team prepared.” It’s unclear what he meant by “the people” but he didn’t say everything is fine either.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/02/06/orioles-duquette-dodges-toronto-questions/

After this interview, i just don't know.

Vinny started off congratulating Dan on being awarded Executive of the Year for the work he did with the team before and during the 2014 season. Having been a GM himself, Vinny used the topic of the award to ask Dan about the situation with Toronto and how getting such an award can get the attention and interest of other teams. Dan laughed off the topic and skirted around it, humbly sharing the responsibility of the award with his staff, recruiters, scouts and player development. “I’ve been focused in helping the Orioles get ready for the coming season.” Dan said, “I don’t have anything to say about the other situation. I just don’t have anything to add to that.” Vinny insisted that Toronto would probably be after him again if he has another good season, to which Dan responded “Well, I don’t know about that. It’s nice to be wanted and we’re going to have another good year here this year with the Orioles.” When asked if the Toronto job offer hurt any relationships within the organization with Angelos or Showalter, Dan repsonded, “I’ve been focused on helping the team get ready. That’s a habit that I have. I’ve been working with the people to get our team prepared.” It’s unclear what he meant by “the people” but he didn’t say everything is fine either.

Nothing new there. Same stuff everyone else has written already.

Headline should read "Duquette Dodges Questions (That He Could Not Possibly Answer)"

Yeah this is true. Nevertheless I appreciate Vinny pressing him on it a little bit. His question regarding relationships was a tuff one. One you would have expected someone from the Sun to ask not a radio host from the new flagship station.

Yeah this is true. Nevertheless I appreciate Vinny pressing him on it a little bit. His question regarding relationships was a tuff one. One you would have expected someone from the Sun to ask not a radio host from the new flagship station.

Relationships have never been Dan's strong suit. His people skills kept him out of baseball for 10 years. Don't expect him to open up now.

Vinny started off congratulating Dan on being awarded Executive of the Year for the work he did with the team before and during the 2014 season. Having been a GM himself, Vinny used the topic of the award to ask Dan about the situation with Toronto and how getting such an award can get the attention and interest of other teams. Dan laughed off the topic and skirted around it, humbly sharing the responsibility of the award with his staff, recruiters, scouts and player development. ?I?ve been focused in helping the Orioles get ready for the coming season.? Dan said, ?I don?t have anything to say about the other situation. I just don?t have anything to add to that.? Vinny insisted that Toronto would probably be after him again if he has another good season, to which Dan responded ?Well, I don?t know about that. It?s nice to be wanted and we?re going to have another good year here this year with the Orioles.? When asked if the Toronto job offer hurt any relationships within the organization with Angelos or Showalter, Dan repsonded, ?I?ve been focused on helping the team get ready. That?s a habit that I have. I?ve been working with the people to get our team prepared.? It?s unclear what he meant by ?the people? but he didn?t say everything is fine either.

In yet another gross disservice to the people of Baltimore, Mr. Duquette also didn't say that crab cakes were delicious, the sky is still blue, and Kate Upton has a great body. Presumably all these things are now open to question. Makes you long for the tranquility of Andy MacPhail, doesn't it.

Relationships have never been Dan's strong suit. His people skills kept him out of baseball for 10 years. Don't expect him to open up now.

Oh I don't know. Obviously he had some pretty good relationships with the people he brought with him. Lucky for us. I didn't expect Duquette to answer the question. I mean what is he going to say? I'm just glad somebody had the nerve to ask the question.

Archived