The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

You think KC, Houston and STL have built their teams by signing free agents? All 3 teams have drafted well for years to get where they are.

We are know that. All we had to do was to resign who we already had. We won the AL east last year. DD should have had a plan B. There were none. So we got what we got. At the very best we may be a .500 team. DD can only do what PA lets him. Wait till next year. This season is already over.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MSK probably sees me as an apologist for the O's establishment, and I agree that "do something" is not constructive.

I will say, there were a few of us, namely myself, who were advocating to trade Norris coming off a career year. I have to believe someone would have given us a decent prospect in return. We would have cleared $9M and given KG an opportunity to start. Anyone, even Wilson or Davies, would have been better than what we have been getting from Bud this year. To me, that is the move that DD should have made and dropped the ball. (If nobody was interested in assuming Norris' salary, well, that should tell you something.)

With that money, I sign Aoki (who hits lefties) for $5M instead of Snider. Not a huge upgrade, but a solid everyday player and a good fit for the leadoff spot.

We are know that. All we had to do was to resign who we already had. We won the AL east last year. DD should was had a plan B. There were none. So we got what we got. At the very best we may be a .500 team. DD can only do what PA lets him. Wait till next year. This season is already over.

Ok. I will play along. We resign everyone and have limited payroll flexibility for a few years. We are good this year. Maybe ok next year. And not so good the following two years ( Markakos, Miller, and or Cruz in last two years of contract) and can't do much to improve.

Or take a slight hit this year but have the flexibility the follwoig three years?

One of the best attributes about this team is that their "worst" contract is Ubaldo. A lot of the players and the contracts they signed that many here wanted fall much further up the worst contract list than Ubaldo. And this isn't a team that can really handle money mismanaged. Even Roberts' contract screwed the team for a few years. But I am sure this fact will be meant be the fact that our owner is cheap and this wouldn't be an issue if our payroll was $200M.

MSK probably sees me as an apologist for the O's establishment, and I agree that "do something" is not constructive.

I will say, there were a few of us, namely myself, who were advocating to trade Norris coming off a career year. I have to believe someone would have given us a decent prospect in return. We would have cleared $9M and given KG an opportunity to start. Anyone, even Wilson or Davies, would have been better than what we have been getting from Bud this year. To me, that is the move that DD should have made and dropped the ball. (If nobody was interested in assuming Norris' salary, well, that should tell you something.)

With that money, I sign Aoki (who hits lefties) for $5M instead of Snider. Not a huge upgrade, but a solid everyday player and a good fit for the leadoff spot.

Agreed. Especially that you are an apologist. Moving Norris was my preferred move, but I could understand the reluctance. All of our options after Gausman were question marks. After Wright's and Wilson's emergence in ST showing that they could hang with Baltimore, I was holding out hope Norris could have been traded by now. Unfortunately Norris has tanked his value.

Yep. We are a very average team the way it is presently constructed. We lost two elite players last year and replaced them with no one. How is that logic of "yeah, but we will get Wieters back and Machado and Davis too!" working out?

Not very well.

Why do you say that? Offense hasn't really been a problem for the Orioles this year, and both Davis and Machado (Manny in particular) has provided much more production than they did at this time last year.

Even without Wieters, the Orioles' plan of having Machado/Davis help offset the loss of Cruz has worked out pretty well so far.

Why do you say that? Offense hasn't really been a problem for the Orioles this year, and both Davis and Machado (Manny in particular) has provided much more production than they did at this time last year.

Even without Wieters, the Orioles' plan of having Machado/Davis help offset the loss of Cruz has worked out pretty well so far.

You keep telling yourself that. 16 strikeouts. That is pathetic

I do not care who you are

That's not what I'm saying.

Stop muddying the waters.

DD's integrity is not in question - he just wanted to go to a better job. He didn't "tank" the offseason by malice, he didn't do his duty because he expected to be in Toronto.

That's all that happened. To pretend otherwise is just... I dunno... bizarre.

IF he had been 100% locked into improving the Orioles, we might have a better squad with a better record. Instead, we've been losing games.

MSK

Weren't we 27-29 at one point last year?

It seems like the O's under Buck start to play better as we get into the summer months. We may be .500 into June but this team WILL heat up. I would be shocked if we don't.

Every AL East team has major issues. The Yankees don't have any starters right now besides Pineda and Eovaldi. Tanaka is going to have TJ eventually. We all know it's coming. The back end of their bullpen will be great all year but they can't keep up this pace. And their lineup will start breaking down in a month or so. The Rays have already lost 2 of their 3 best starting pitchers for the year. The Jays can't pitch and the Sux are destined for another last place finish.

I'm still confident that the Orioles win this division. If we're still playing like this a month from now, it will be a different story.

So one bad performance suddenly means the whole offense is terrible? That is some silly logic. And what do strikeouts really have to do with how many homeruns the team hits, or how many runs they score?

40 year old Randy Johnson threw a perfect game against a 2004 Braves team that won 96 games and had a .343 team OBP. The Diamondbacks went 51-111 that year.

Yes, true, but we were in a MUCH better position and not operating from a position of weakness. This is by far a much weaker overall lineup than last year and Miller was brought in to get us through the playoffs and hopefully to a WS title.

Right now, nothing is working.

Mainly because we simply don't have the talent to win as many games. Face it folks.

MSK

This is patently false. You need to check your facts.

I repeat:

2015 without Cruz:

C .817 OPS

1B .834

2B .764

3B .833

SS .481

LF .620

CF .981

RF .758

DH .836

PH .851