Revisiting Ripken and the Nats (Not on Consideration List)

TonySoprano

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The position I've always thought would be ideal for Cal would be a sort of school supervisor over the entire organization. With the managers = principals and coaches = teachers. Cal would make sure "The Oriole Way" is being taught at all levels. And I would only be in favor of this, if Buck were behind it 100%

Superstar HOF transition to managing ain't as easy as it seems. Ask Ryne Sandberg. I could see Cal in a front office or MLB type role more than the gritty, day to day hassles of being a manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

or ask Ted Williams' head. Didn't DC learn a lesson from that disaster?

Superstar HOF transition to managing ain't as easy as it seems. Ask Ryne Sandberg. I could see Cal in a front office or MLB type role more than the gritty, day to day hassles of being a manager.

To this day Fred Clarke is probably the only guy who had a HOF career as both a player and a manager. I guess Joe Torre has a case.

You're forgetting Oriole great John McGraw.

No, I thought of him. McGraw was a very, very good player. His 48 fWAR puts him above some of the questionable gray-area selections in the Hall (including teammate Hughie Jennings). But he played 100+ games only five times, 1099 games in his career, and stopped playing regularly at 29. Kirby Puckett had a very short career for a Hall of Famer, and he played 700 more games and had 3000 more plate appearances than McGraw. Adam Jones passed McGraw in career games last year.

To this day Fred Clarke is probably the only guy who had a HOF career as both a player and a manager. I guess Joe Torre has a case.

Frank, of course, but he is the exception. Ohh..I see..BOTH as player and manager....my bad...

Yep, that was the intent. Lots of people who fell short in one area or the other.

Lou Boudreau? Over 1100 wins as a manager...inventor of the shift, World Series championship last for Cleveland in 1954...best of the player managers, 8 time All Star, AL MVP in 1949.

No, I thought of him. McGraw was a very, very good player. His 48 fWAR puts him above some of the questionable gray-area selections in the Hall (including teammate Hughie Jennings). But he played 100+ games only five times, 1099 games in his career, and stopped playing regularly at 29. Kirby Puckett had a very short career for a Hall of Famer, and he played 700 more games and had 3000 more plate appearances than McGraw. Adam Jones passed McGraw in career games last year.

McGraw did a lot to redefine his position, though. It isn't all about lifetime totals.

McGraw did a lot to redefine his position, though. It isn't all about lifetime totals.

In what way did he redefine his position? I've never heard of him being a big innovator, except in kind of underhanded ways. Like sneaking a finger into the belt loop of an opposing runner trying to tag up to hold him up just enough to get thrown out. And when it comes to Hall of Fame selection, unless you've got a crazy story like inventing the curveball (Cummings) or the hit-and-run (McCarthy) you have to have some minimum level of playing time combined with some assumed level of excellence. I have to think his 1099 games played would be the fewest of any HOFer elected for his playing career, not counting Negro Leaguers or guys who were in mid-career when professional baseball was invented.

• 1 month later...
Ripken discussed his future as a potential manager Friday in an interview on "The Rich Eisen Show" but stopped short of saying that he definitely wants the Nationals job.

The Hall of Fame shortstop admitted, however, that he wouldn't mind hearing from Rizzo, saying "everybody wants a phone call like that."

"I'd answer the phone," Ripken said, "and I'd like to ask some questions myself."

Despite describing his lack of managerial experience as a "risk," Ripken also cited his extensive "baseball background" as an attribute he would potentially bring to a major league clubhouse.

"The baseball background that I have -- you're a student of the game -- there's a lot said about experience or lack of experience in managers coming through," Ripken said during the interview. "To me, it's all about your philosophy -- how you handle things, what you're going to do. And then it's being able to apply it.

"I haven't had a chance to apply that, so no one knows. So that would be a risk, I suppose. I'm in the business world now and all the time, it seems like I'm asking for experts to come around and tell me what to do because I don't have that background to fall back on. But in baseball, I have that background to fall back on and I would know how to deal with whatever situations there because I've seen it."

source - ESPN

Archived