The collective-bargaining agreement did not expire on Dec. 1, 2016 (Updated)

weams

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Bowie Baysox lists their business as under 50 employees. Several of which I know. And believe have six figure incomes.

There are multiple BaySox employees who make over $100k? That kind of surprises me, but maybe it shouldn't. What, the GM... who else? Nobody actually in a uniform makes that much, do they? The manager doesn't?

There are multiple BaySox employees who make over $100k? That kind of surprises me, but maybe it shouldn't. What, the GM... who else? Nobody actually in a uniform makes that much, do they? The manager doesn't?

Ok Two, maybe not three. But I was helping with your argument.

I'm sure it would upset the status quo. I don't think it's terribly difficult to have a healthy business model when someone else pays for both your stadium and your players. In fact, you can make money without any regards to winning or losing or making the playoffs or even keeping your best players for more than a couple months.

You know my agenda - I'm not a fan of leagues full of teams that really don't care if they finish first or last. Sure, the players try to win, and the team would rather win, but it's at best a secondary concern for all involved. I just don't like it.

No, I get it. But the public, who is mostly attending these minor league games as "something fun to do with the family" doesn't really care who wins. They get exactly what they want -- cheap entertainment. The MLB clubs get what they want -- an infrastructure to facilitate their big league operations. MiLB ownership groups get what they want -- a profitable business. If it ain't broke...

The business side is generally pretty large. And the folks that run that side run it like a multi-million dollar business. Obviously the staff in Beloit is a lot different than the staff in Memphis. But I'd assume the investment funds that own these teams pay very well to have very talented staffs put together marketing plans, promotions, relationships with local businesses, etc.

• 8 months later...

Bump...a year later, and we're still waiting to hear what's going to happen with the new CBA. Not sure how free agency can begin before anyone knows if the QO system will remain in place and exactly how it will work. Perhaps there's a gentleman's agreement that the QO system won't change this offseason, even if it may change in the other years covered by the new CBA?

No, I get it. But the public, who is mostly attending these minor league games as "something fun to do with the family" doesn't really care who wins. They get exactly what they want -- cheap entertainment. The MLB clubs get what they want -- an infrastructure to facilitate their big league operations. MiLB ownership groups get what they want -- a profitable business. If it ain't broke...

I am so with this.

Good read, thanks. Especially interested in the consideration given to expanding rosters to 26 players. Not sure I'm a fan of it, to be honest. Everyone would carry an eight man bullpen and it may have a pretty major impact on how the game is managed. I take the point about injuries, though (and would support a reduction to 154 games).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good read, thanks. Especially interested in the consideration given to expanding rosters to 26 players. Not sure I'm a fan of it, to be honest. Everyone would carry an eight man bullpen and it may have a pretty major impact on how the game is managed. I take the point about injuries, though (and would support a reduction to 154 games).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would probably make games longer. Not a fan of almost anything that makes for longer breaks in game action. There are already too many breaks for reviews, etc., IMO.

Archived