The collective-bargaining agreement did not expire on Dec. 1, 2016 (Updated)

weams

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a time, when bubble gum was provided in pouches like chew, and kids were putting a big pinch in and acting like ball players.

Different era for sure.

You normally dont see people smoking cigs in movies and tv shows, not like it used to be back, back in the day.

Note smokeless also includes e-cigs, and even cities and ballparks, as well as all airlines have already banned them from use in public.

The CBA only effects brand new players, any player with 1 day of big league service is exempt.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I remember a time, when bubble gum was provided in pouches like chew, and kids were putting a big pinch in and acting like ball players.

Different era for sure.

You normally dont see people smoking cigs in movies and tv shows, not like it used to be back, back in the day.

Note smokeless also includes e-cigs, and even cities and ballparks, as well as all airlines have already banned them from use in public.

The CBA only effects brand new players, any player with 1 day of big league service is exempt.

I still think it's dumb

I am good with the tobacco campaign. No different than domestic violence or any other behavior that has negative social consequences. If MLB wants to take a stand and the players agree, that is a good thing in my opinion. Players can still chew and spit in the clubhouse, they just can't provide free advertising for tobacco companies on national television.

From everything I've read, the compromises made by both sides in the CBA seem reasonable.     Honestly, they've tweaked the system rather than overhauled anything.   I don't think competitive balance will be dramatically affected either way.

Dan Duquette to Roch Kubatko

Did negotiations on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement impact Duquette’s attempts to upgrade the roster?

“It’s certainly a factor because clubs are trying to decide and weigh the value of their players,” Duquette said. “When some of the macrostructures aren’t really determined, it slows things down. But this is the end of the calendar year, if you will, for baseball. After (yesterday), you start a new season.

“We were aware of what was being discussed between the owners and the players, but you never know how it’s going to resolve, right? What the actual structure is going to be going forward. So, it’s generally prudent to wait and see exactly what the terms of the working conditions are before going full-speed ahead.”

www.MASNsports.com

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-inside-details-from-baseballs-fascinating-new-cba-082559072.html

“This is just the setup for war in 2021,” one high-ranking official told Yahoo Sports.

Another longtime power broker went a step further.

“If there’s not a strike,” he said, “I’ll be shocked.”

Trying to play Baseball Nostradamus is tricky, of course, because the ever-present potential for seismic change in the sport makes predictions a half-decade down the road murky.

When a contingent of players from the Dominican Republic showed up in Dallas, it was a great sign for the union. Engaging Latin American players had proven difficult for a group whose membership had grown increasingly Latino in recent decades, and here they were, ready to fight for what infuriated them: the prospect of an international amateur draft proposed by MLB.

The fervor with which the players railed against the draft came from a place more emotional than logical. The rearing of young baseball players, particularly in the Dominican Republic, is part of an economy that supports thousands. It also can take boys as young as 12, rescue them from poverty, supply them with meals and training, and prepare them to sign with a major league team at 16 years old. Almost every Dominican player goes through this system. It becomes a part of him.

A subjective view, on the other hand, shows a system where trainers take usurious cuts of players’ bonuses, shoot them up with performance-enhancing drugs in their early teen years, don’t continue their education and teach them skills that suit them better for scouting showcases, not fundamental skills.

In exchange for the international draft, MLB was prepared to offer the union something it long dreamt of: unfettered free agency. The qualifying offer – which attached draft-pick compensation to the best free agents and hindered their earning potential for the previous five seasons – would be gone. The market, and only the market, would determine their contract. As unwieldy as the international draft felt, the MLBPA had made a habit of prioritizing its membership – the 1,200 players on major league rosters – over the amateurs long from the big leagues.

This did not happen in Dallas. The desire of a vocal segment of players to avoid an international draft at all costs was abundantly clear, and ultimately – over the objection of a number of top players and officials – the union took that position: No deal until there’s no draft. MLB saw an opportunity and instead got the cost containment it desired without having to spend a penny on the infrastructure a draft would necessitate. The league asked for a hard cap on money spent internationally and couldn’t believe its fortune: The union acceded, a stunning reversal from past negotiations when a hard cap of any kind, be it on team salaries, draft spending or international money, was rejected 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived