Given the high price of SP, I wonder what the trade market is like for the current rotation

FanSince88

Wieters and Trumbo will clear next year if they are not traded. That is $24M. Tillman and Gonzo (the guys I would look to trade) are another chunk. $15M. JJ and Ubaldo will clear another $25M the year after that. (If they are playing decently, they too could be traded this year).Matusz could be traded or nontendered. That's $68M that could be shed easily in a retool scenario without even trading Jones.

Our $120M payroll looks like we are trying to contend now, but we have very few long term commitments.

Until we pull the trigger on multiyear deals for Davis and a pitcher, I think we are just as close to a rebuild scenario as we are to calling ourselves legitimate contenders.

Let me know when Buck is gone. He's not a rebuild manager for certain. Plus, you can't rebuild when he leaves. That is the year you win a World Series.

Let me know when Buck is gone. He's not a rebuild manager for certain. Plus, you can't rebuild when he leaves. That is the year you win a World Series.

Buck was brought in in 2010 when we were 66-96. About the same in 2011. We were absolutely a rebuilding team when he was brought in. So I don't get "Buck is not a rebuild manager". I am sure he would prefer not to do it again but baseball tends not to work that way.

The way the team is set up, you could have a relatively quick turnaround and 2018 is a long ways away.

I would not be opposed to moving Tillman and/or Gonzo for some legitimate prospects who could help us in '17 and '18 while hoping to find the next Tillman and Gonzo among Wilson, Gunkel, Miranda, etc. Better in my opinion than trying to compete in '16 via a massive overpay on Davis (costing a pick) and Gallardo (costing another).

Buck was brought in in 2010 when we were 66-96. About the same in 2011. We were absolutely a rebuilding team when he was brought in. So I don't get "Buck is not a rebuild manager". I am sure he would prefer not to do it again but baseball tends not to work that way.

The way the team is set up, you could have a relatively quick turnaround and 2018 is a long ways away.

I would not be opposed to moving Tillman and/or Gonzo for some legitimate prospects who could help us in '17 and '18 while hoping to find the next Tillman and Gonzo among Wilson, Gunkel, Miranda, etc. Better in my opinion than trying to compete in '16 via a massive overpay on Davis (costing a pick) and Gallardo (costing another).

From what I recall Buck didn't really want to take over the 2010 club.

Nope. He's all about the bass.

Archived