Given the high price of SP, I wonder what the trade market is like for the current rotation

FanSince88

Not necessarily advocating a trade here, but given the huge contracts that starters are getting, I've gotta think there would be some trade partners for Ubaldo, Tillman, or Gonzo. Are Leake and Kazmir really that much better than those guys? Ubaldo is almost looking like a bargain especially with only 2 years left on his deal. Tillman and Gonzo would certainly be bargains even with their poor performances last year. And Gausman could really fetch a gold mine of prospects, I bet, although I probably wouldn't consider trading him.

Not necessarily advocating a trade here, but given the huge contracts that starters are getting, I've gotta think there would be some trade partners for Ubaldo, Tillman, or Gonzo. Are Leake and Kazmir really that much better than those guys? Ubaldo is almost looking like a bargain especially with only 2 years left on his deal. Tillman and Gonzo would certainly be bargains even with their poor performances last year. And Gausman could really fetch a gold mine of prospects, I bet, although I probably wouldn't consider trading him.

I was thinking the O's could trade a RHP to the Dodgers for a LHP.

How would you fill the holes in the rotation if you traded anyone? You said it yourself, the free agents are expensive.

I think it's time to trade Tillman. He's had success as recently as 2014 and is still considerably cheap. A smart team would look at his peripherals and offer a B prospect and be on the fence about it. Maybe there is a dumb team that would trade something half decent. I'd love a Tillman for Singleton trade with the Astros.

I think it's time to trade Tillman. He's had success as recently as 2014 and is still considerably cheap. A smart team would look at his peripherals and offer a B prospect and be on the fence about it. Maybe there is a dumb team that would trade something half decent. I'd love a Tillman for Singleton trade with the Astros.

How does a trade for a b prospect help the Os?

How does a trade for a b prospect help the Os?

Well, it doesn't unless you do in to make room on the roster and payroll for someone who you think can do better. Plus, I said a smart team makes that offer, not that we should do it at that cost.

Well, it doesn't unless you do in to make room on the roster and payroll for someone who you think can do better. Plus, I said a smart team makes that offer, not that we should do it at that cost.

Do you think it Mike Leake is better than Chris Tillman? If so by a whole lot?

You would do that before you already spent 120 million.

Wieters and Trumbo will clear next year if they are not traded. That is $24M. Tillman and Gonzo (the guys I would look to trade) are another chunk. $15M. JJ and Ubaldo will clear another $25M the year after that. (If they are playing decently, they too could be traded this year).Matusz could be traded or nontendered. That's $68M that could be shed easily in a retool scenario without even trading Jones.

Our $120M payroll looks like we are trying to contend now, but we have very few long term commitments.

Until we pull the trigger on multiyear deals for Davis and a pitcher, I think we are just as close to a rebuild scenario as we are to calling ourselves legitimate contenders.

Archived