Steve Pearce Appreciation Thread

weams

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty decent signing for the Rays. I am interested to see what the dollar-value ends up being. I would not have minded seeing him as a back-up option to bring back for the RF/DH mix, but I would prefer a LHB and there are other options I like more. Pearce has got to do what's best for him, so I certainly can't fault him for signing on with another team. Something close to his 2014 could have got him a nice pay day. I think Steve has a good few years in front of him, but he is on the wrong side of 30. Two things to like about him moving forward...

(1) Although his 2015 was disappointing, partially due to injuries, his ISO was still higher than any season in his career other than 2014 (which doesn't necessarily take into account the BA aspect, which was down). His slugging/average ratio actually increased from 1.897 to 1.936.

(2) His walk rate declined a bit in 2015, down to 7.1%, but it was consistently around the 10% area from 2012 - 2014 and is 9.2% for his career. Combine that with the fact that his BA last season seems to be a bit of bad luck w/r/t BABIP, which was .232, the lowest of his career and well below his .282 career number. Nothing in his batted ball data seems like it took a crazy shift in any area (GB%, LB%, etc.), but he did actually go opposite field more often, so I don't really see anything to indicate that the BABIP is much more than terrible luck.

If he has a bounceback season, I really hope it isn't against us, because I really like the guy.

A gamer, as cliched as it might be to say it. Hard nosed, tough, would play just about anywhere. I hate to lose him, especially to an AL East foe. Im hoping the O's have something big up their sleeve with either another OF or SP or both. We will see. Good luck Steve. You were one of my very favorite Orioles.

Mine too. I'll save the bobbles.

• 1 year later...
33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hit two walk off grand slams in one week, last week off of former Orioles Bud Norris. Sure looked like Bud may have grooved him one but still impressive!

http://deadspin.com/three-days-after-walkoff-grand-slam-steve-pearce-hits-1797393695

You'll know that Duquette thinks we're in it to win it if he trades for Steve Pearce at the deadline.  B|

Archived