First Trip to Spring Training

Orsulak4Prez

Hey everyone. I'm thrilled to say that my friend and I are making the trip to Sarasota this year! We just finished booking everything.

I have been Googling a little bit to research the area, but I wanted to reach out to the board and see if I could hear of some of your experiences. We'll mainly be looking for good food and good beer. We're into more of a laid back scene, but a lively sports bar is okay too.

We would appreciate any advice from veteran Spring Training goers. Thanks!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, everyone. I'm thrilled to say that my friend and I are making the trip to Sarasota this year! We just finished booking everything.

I have been Googling a little bit to research the area, but I wanted to reach out to the board and see if I could hear of some of your experiences. We'll mainly be looking for good food and good beer. We're into more of a laid back scene, but a lively sports bar is okay too.

We would appreciate any advice from veteran Spring Training goers. Thanks!

Have fun.

And you're a bastard for not taking me with you.

We've been down twice. I wish I could give good advice about good hangouts, but we've taken small kids with us both times. Personally, I like going towards the end of the month when the regulars play a little more. I would recommends stopping by Yoders at some point and picking up a pie and grab some food if you have time. You won't regret the pie. Bradenton and Port Charlotte aren't far away either if you want to catch a "road" game, but you probably won't see the Oriole regulars playing too much. Have fun and enjoy the weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My husband and I have gone the past 2 years. The first year we met up with some friends and last year just us.

I agree that Yoder's is a must. The fried chicken and peanut butter pie are great! But, they close early and typically have a long line for dinner, so plan to get there a bit early.

JDub's is a brewery catty corner to the home base entrance to Ed Smith Stadium. It's a little brewery, but they are nice and the beer is good!

We stay at the Best Western Siesta Key. Harry's sports bar and grill is right out front, so we tend to go there for food and drinks. There are a bunch of bars/clubs on Siesta Key that stay open late.

Captain Curt's Crab and Oyster Bar has the BEST clam chowder! It won some contest in Newport, Ct. It was good! Drinks are good too! They are busy too, but we just sat at the bar waiting for our table.

We have seen road games at Jet Blue in Ft. Myers (Red Sox), McKenchnie Field in Bradenton (Pirates) and Joker Marchant at Lakeland (Tigers).

I wouldn't go back to the Tigers stadium, but if you do don't spend your money on getting in early for batting practice. They only let you in the the outfield. So, it's only good for people with kids trying to catch homeruns. They only open up regular seats and up by the dugouts for signatures at the regular entry time.

McKenchnie is close and a nice old stadium and they sell HUGE beers! Motorworks is a brewery that is down the street and walkable from the stadium for some beers afterwards.

Jet Blue is awesome! It's like a newer Fenway. We went on a Saturday evening and it was almost like a fair with all the food vendors and they had a band playing before the game. Plus the second string O's killed the Sox! Great night!

Don't forget your sunscreen!!!! :beerchug1:

First time going this year. The wife and I. We'll be at the 3/8 and 3/10 games.

How is Siesta Key? We're hoping it's warm enough to at least go sit on the beach.

The sand is so white and fine! It should be warm enough! Parking tends to be a problem so try to get there early or go later in the afternoon like we do!

Archived