Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

Given the chance, could Joey be better for us than Fowler? He's a career .283 hitter with an OBP of .390 in the minors including a .360/.437/.472 line in 89 ABs at AAA last season. Not sure how well this will translate to the bigs. In 396 total ABs last year, he walked 69 times and struck out 75 times. Stole 20+ bases too. He'll be intriguing to watch this spring.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given the chance, could Joey be better for us than Fowler? He's a career .283 hitter with an OBP of .390 in the minors including a .360/.437/.472 line in 89 ABs at AAA last season. Not sure how well this will translate to the bigs. In 396 total ABs last year, he walked 69 times and struck out 75 times. Stole 20+ bases too. He'll be intriguing to watch this spring.

Here is the problem....both corner OFs would be this way.

Maybe this opens up a spot on the bench for Rickard to make the team in that last bench role.

Platoon Trumbo with Reimold, and use Wieters in the DH, when Trumbo is playing the field, and see how Kim does in May.

Maybe Rickard plays well and gets some playing time at the COF?

If they carried 5 starters, 7 relievers, 9 regulars including a full time DH, they still have room for 4 guys. That will almost certainly include Joseph, Flaherty, Rickard, and Reimold. I think Nolan is most likely the odd man out if Rickard shows anything at all in spring training. This assumes the Orioles will add another player. Plus Rickard is best suited to play CF when Jones needs a break.

If they carried 5 starters, 7 relievers, 9 regulars including a full time DH, they still have room for 4 guys. That will almost certainly include Joseph, Flaherty, Rickard, and Reimold. I think Nolan is most likely the odd man out if Rickard shows anything at all in spring training. This assumes the Orioles will add another player. Plus Rickard is best suited to play CF when Jones needs a break.

Flaherty should be a lock for the INF bench slot, and Caleb is a lock for backup catcher.

I think it all depends on how well Rickard does in ST.

Flaherty should be a lock for the INF bench slot, and Caleb is a lock for backup catcher.

I think it all depends on how well Rickard does in ST.

Yeah I agree but if both Kim and Rickard struggle you have the same problem as last year. Plus Reimold can't be counted on to stay healthy....too many question marks. That why they are still looking to add....I just think Bruce and Jackson aren't anything but marginal improvements ...you know what you are getting and it's likely mediocre.

John Sickels ranks Rickard as the 18th best prospect in our system, Grade C:

18) Joey Rickard, OF, Grade C: Age 24, Rule 5 pick out of Rays system, hit .321/.427/.447 with 23 steals, 69 walks, 75 strikeouts in 396 at-bats between High-A, Double-A, Triple-A. Fast, good glove, lacks distance power but can work a walk, prototype reserve outfielder.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/2/13/10983046/baltimore-orioles-top-20-prospects-for-2016

My baseline assumption is that he's not a starter, and will be lucky to survive spring training. But maybe he'll show us something.

Yeah I agree but if both Kim and Rickard struggle you have the same problem as last year. Plus Reimold can't be counted on to stay healthy....too many question marks. That why they are still looking to add....I just think Bruce and Jackson aren't anything but marginal improvements ...you know what you are getting and it's likely mediocre.

I don't put Kim and Rickard in the same territory. I think Kim is more likely to be able to produce at this level.

Nick has come back, and stayed Healthy.

So why can't we consider that Nolan is finally healthy?

At this point, I am not even sure Bruce is an improvement, just more costly.

If Alvarez doesn't make the club out of ST, then he will be at AAA, and a phone call away.

John Sickels ranks Rickard as the 18th best prospect in our system, Grade C:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/2/13/10983046/baltimore-orioles-top-20-prospects-for-2016

My baseline assumption is that he's not a starter, and will be lucky to survive spring training. But maybe he'll show us something.

Fast and good glove.

Almost sounds like a younger Lough and since Lough isn't here, there is a need for late inning OF and pinch runner.

I can understand the skepticism about Nolan. Nick's track record is one of being extremely healthy and being able to play through nagging injuries. Although he had neck surgery last offseason, he still had managed to play in 155 games in the year immediately preceding the operation, and then played in 156 games last year. Nolan's track record is that he misses a lot of time with various injuries, and not healing that quickly. He did stay healthy all last year, but that was his first fully healthy year since 2011. Reimold's games by season (minors and majors combined):

2011 - 126

2012 - 16

2013 - 52

2014 - 46

2015 - 115

Nick in those same seasons: 160, 104, 160, 155, 156.

I don't put Kim and Rickard in the same territory. I think Kim is more likely to be able to produce at this level.

At this point, I am not even sure Bruce is an improvement, just more costly.

If Alvarez doesn't make the club out of ST, then he will be at AAA, and a phone call away.

He is healthy....Will he stay healthy? Not a certainty. I think the Orioles prefer not to throw the wet toilet paper wads on the wall.

I can understand the skepticism about Nolan. Nick's track record is one of being extremely healthy and being able to play through nagging injuries. Although he had neck surgery last offseason, he still had managed to play in 155 games in the year immediately preceding the operation, and then played in 156 games last year. Nolan's track record is that he misses a lot of time with various injuries, and not healing that quickly. He did stay healthy all last year, but that was his first fully healthy year since 2011. Reimold's games by season (minors and majors combined):

2011 - 126

2012 - 16

2013 - 52

2014 - 46

2015 - 115

Nick in those same seasons: 160, 104, 160, 155, 156.

Nolan had a bit more wrong and needed a 2nd surgery on his neck.

I think what Nolan can do, when healthy, is worthy of trying to see if he can play a whole season.

Fast and good glove.

Almost sounds like a younger Lough and since Lough isn't here, there is a need for late inning OF and pinch runner.

Lough never walked much but had mid-range, .150 ISO power. Rickard walks a lot but has Markakis power. Lough has a plus-plus glove in an OF corner. Rickard's glove is something of an unknown, at least to me. They will probably fill similar roles as Nelson Cruz/Mark Trumbo's glove.

Archived