Miguel Gonzalez Appreciation Tread

weams

I think comparing what might have been if we had stood by Miguel vs. Tillman is not as instructive as comparing him to Yovanni Gallardo, although, to DD's credit, it does seem like we got a good return for YG when we realized our mistake and traded him. Or comparing him to Wright and Wilson. It's one of many decisions that could have been a factor in our near-miss for the playoffs last year.

Only time will tell whether Aquino or Asher can help us to forget such blunders.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I think comparing what might have been if we had stood by Miguel vs. Tillman is not as instructive as comparing him to Yovanni Gallardo, although, to DD's credit, it does seem like we got a good return for YG when we realized our mistake and traded him. Or comparing him to Wright and Wilson. It's one of many decisions that could have been a factor in our near-miss for the playoffs last year.

Only time will tell whether Aquino or Asher can help us to forget such blunders.

I tend to agree a bit. But that 5 Million was spent to improve the team. Whether it was for Yovanni, or for Pedro or Michael Bourn. I was convinced that Miguel would not throw another MLB pitch in anger after his decline, and I was wrong as were all the teams not named White Sox. 

8 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I thought we made the playoffs last year.

41 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I thought we made the playoffs last year.

Of course, the tie-breaker game, if one really wants to call that the "playoffs." But obviously one more victory--among 162 games--would have gotten us into the wild card game.

17 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Of course, the wild card game, if one really wants to call that the "playoffs." But obviously one more victory--among 162 games--would have gotten us into a real playoff series. The baseball postseason is series, a series of them.

No, one more win during the season would have still left us in the WC game. Are you thinking of tie breaker games?

17 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

No, one more win during the season would have still left us in the WC game. Are you thinking of tie breaker games?

Yes, sorry for the confusion. Haven't had my doses of caffeine yet!

2 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

I agree with most of what you say here, but  there is zero chance that Gonzo gets anything remotely close to a 4/50 deal. He will be lucky to get a 2/17 deal. And that might even be generous.

Yeah..I may have exaggerated on the 4/50.  But when it comes to SP. I could see him getting the 3/30 like Feldman got if he continues what he's doing now. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

I do not believe he will have a better season from this point forward than Ubaldo. No. 

Why?    Since he came into the league in 2012, Miguel is 46-41 with a 3.77 ERA.    In that same time period, Ubaldo is 49-57, 4.57 ERA.

15 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Yeah..I may have exaggerated on the 4/50.  But when it comes to SP. I could see him getting the 3/30 like Feldman got if he continues what he's doing now. 

He's been worth 2 WAR or so every year except for his aberrant '15 season, so it's possible if he can stay healthy. I always liked the guy and hope he succeeds. And that he continues to dominate the Yanks.

14 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

He's been worth 2 WAR or so every year except for his aberrant '15 season, so it's possible if he can stay healthy. I always liked the guy and hope he succeeds. And that he continues to dominate the Yanks.

I loved Miggy. I wish he was still here. But I didn't lose any sleep when they released him. It seemed time. I was wrong.

I was in the "scream bloody murder" camp when Miggy was released.   With an option.  That was the part that just killed me.   With an option.   A guy who had been money in our playoff seasons, Yankee killer, veteran, clubhouse guy released because of a bad exhibition game or two.   It was a simple chump change money deal that I hope continues to bite us in the rear end.  

Archived