PED Suspensions Coming

Sessh

Ortiz is currently slugging .728. The only other player who has been this dominant this late in his career is Barry Bonds. And he's got a big head. Not accusing, just wondering.

We know that the troches and gummies work 100% so far. None of the folks taking that type or regimine have ever tested hot.

As another poster mentioned earlier, I agree that there's just too much money in baseball. It provides too great an incentive to cheat, because the "best" (most successful, not necessarily most talented) players can get payouts that land them in the top 0.001% or so. Even an average ML player will never have to go hungry again and can always afford to have the latest creature comforts and new cars every year for the rest of their life.

If you were on the precipice of reaching that, but had a real risk of not keeping up with everyone else (a significant portion of whom are cheating to give themselves an edge), what would you do? Would you be honest and hope that you train and prepare well enough to do it legitimately? Or would you give in and take the "safer" road to success, women and shiny cars?

I think a lot of people would be amoral for money if they had the opportunity sitting right in front of them. It's human nature. It's why, if you accidentally leave a wallet full of money in the bathroom somewhere and the person who finds it is really confident they can get away with it, they'll steal your money. You might get your wallet back but "someone else took the money before they found it", or you might never see it again.

People will do anything for money. Anything.

Doesn't make it right, doesn't excuse it, but I don't think it's surprising or unexpected, either. It's the opposite of that. If we want to actually make these players live up to the morals they and their organizations espouse, we'd have to actually police them so aggressively that even a 2-hour disappearing PED could still be detected a day or two after ingestion. But then you're looking at a bioscience problem that hasn't yet been solved, and once it IS solved, the crooks will already be looking for ways around it.

It's cat and mouse, and the mouse is always a step ahead. If you don't like it, you don't have to put your money into the system; it's your choice whether to do so or not. I've been tempted on multiple occasions to stop putting my own money into it because of exactly this crap. Why should I pay a bunch of players who will lie to the public, their organization and their peers, just for the chance that they might be a little bit better and be able to afford another house or another expensive yacht or something?

I've earned every penny I've ever made, and I've never cheated anyone out of anything. It sucks not to have nice things, but it's the moral high ground. Now, don't get me wrong; if I knew of a way to get out of the middle class without being a total scumbag, I'd do it. But I don't think there's an obvious way for someone with my talents (computer science and IT). I guess I should have picked a more "lucrative" field, like baseball, where doing your job one out of three times is considered good. If I did my job correctly one out of three times, I'd be out of work.

The money is also what keeps players from throwing games. Who's going to risk never getting that free agent payday to take what's almost certainly less money from underworld scum? It's hard to pay off someone to lose when they're pulling down an average of $25k a game.

• Upvote 2

I don't get all the hate for Ortiz just because he went ballistic in the dugout. This is an emotional game and far from the first time a guy has gone ballistic in the dugout in one way or another even with a bat. There have

been NHL coaches throwing benches on the ice in protest and what about Bobby Knight throwing chairs? Didn't Machado throw a bat at Donaldson on purpose and then lie about it? How many players have broken bats

over their knees in anger? I get that people here hate the Red Sox or any team not the Orioles, but you'd think Ortiz was the only guy to ever lose it over balls and strikes or for any reason and give themselves over to

anger in the dugout afterwards reading these boards. Several water coolers have lost their lives in MLB dugouts as well.

[video=youtube;L7LKbCWe8Eo]

[video=youtube;McNasAVgKxc]

I don't get all the hate for Ortiz just because he went ballistic in the dugout. This is an emotional game and far from the first time a guy has gone ballistic in the dugout in one way or another even with a bat. There have

been NHL coaches throwing benches on the ice in protest and what about Bobby Knight throwing chairs? Didn't Machado throw a bat at Donaldson on purpose and then lie about it? How many players have broken bats

over their knees in anger? I get that people here hate the Red Sox or any team not the Orioles, but you'd think Ortiz was the only guy to ever lose it over balls and strikes or for any reason and give themselves over to

anger in the dugout afterwards reading these boards. Several water coolers have lost their lives in MLB dugouts as well.

[video=youtube;L7LKbCWe8Eo]

[video=youtube;McNasAVgKxc]

Manny didn't throw a bat at Donaldson. Donaldson was out of the game at that point.

Ortiz destroyed that phone and had previously charged the mound at Gregg, and he talks a lot. Also he's good and on the Red Sox. Lots of good reasons to hate him, especially those last two.

I guess I just don't have enough "homer" in me. :laughlol: Gregg kind of instigated that incident, though.

I guess I just don't have enough "homer" in me. :laughlol: Gregg kind of instigated that incident, though.

You mention Bobby Knight and chair throwing, IMO, he is another clown, no excuse for that.

One thing to kick dirt on a umpire's shoes, that doesn't but people at risk of getting hurt.

Manny was wrong, and I suspect you wont see a repeat of that behavior.